8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want race wheels after winter for auto-x, street mod (yes, I know, I will get my ass handed to me, but oh well), maybe tempted to put them on for DD too ... ok, I'll be good... I won't... maybe...

What are your recommendations? Tires, also would be good (keep in mind this may end up on my ride for DD, because I'm lazy, and yes, I bought a 2' breaker bar just to keep taking off wheels... yes I have ADD...)

I know Greg had a recommendation for some.

Here's a short list:

Motegi Tracklites
TeamDynamics
Enkei ___?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
try to look for forged wheels like volk re30, volk ce28n and mugen gp.
for the tire is bridgestone potenza re01r or yokohama advan neova.
slick tire is better for track use but for DD those are the 2 best tire i think.. :laughing:

·
Registered
929 Posts
We run 17x8 Enkei RPF-01's on our 8th gen Civic Sedan and Coupe Touring Cars and have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Solo2EG said:
We run 17x8 Enkei RPF-01's on our 8th gen Civic Sedan and Coupe Touring Cars and have been very happy with them.
that is what I was thinking due to their weight and durability. I have head great things

SSR's on the other hand I've heard that they are made with softer metals and tend to bend and crack a lot easier than most rims. Maybe I heard wrong

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
The very best so far are the Volk RE30s, AFAIK.

Lighter and even more durable than TE37s. Of course, they're expensive as heck.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Keep them coming. Price-shopping (online vendor with good prices + service) would be great. Tire Rack seems to have it down pretty good though.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
It's important to note that it's not just how light the wheels are, but also how durable (which is why RPF01s are so popular even though they're not the lightest wheel, or Works wheels). The RE30s combine the lightness of the CE28s with ruggedness that's supposed to be better than the TE37s. If it were just lightness you could go for the Motegi Tracklites.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weren't the Motegis also forged, though made in China?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Here is my .02.

If you want "Racing" wheels and want to get out cheap the RSX type S wheels are like 16 pounds. Not the current gen wheels but the prevoius gen wheels. Light as heck and can be picked up for 300ish for the set easily. throw some r compound tires on there and your good to go.

That is what I plan on doing if I ever get into auto-x or drag racing.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Team Dynamics by far..
Custom Sizes, offsets, hub sizes, and more. They measure possible imbalance weight and have dedicated center bores to eliminate rings (if needed)
We sell a bit of these:

They are forged, super light weight, and not too exspensive like VOLK, Wedsport, WORK

Hit me up if you wanna look into TeamDynamics Wheels.
http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/
We carry the entire line!!

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
jdmstylesi said:
They are forged, super light weight, and not too exspensive like VOLK, Wedsport, WORK
Volks are a lot lighter though--17x8 RE30s weight 15.6 lbs, whereas the wheel you linked above weigh close to 20 lbs for 17x8. I would never drop the money for Volk wheels since I'm not like a club racer, but the OP did ask for the "best"--and IMO nothing beats the RE30s. Course, they do cost $2,900, so they're not cheap.

RPF1s would be my pick if I were keeping a reasonable budget. Here's a helpful link for popular racing wheels.

http://www.soloracer.com/racewheels.html

Edit: Getting Volks for your car IMO is overkill. I liken it to dropping $10k on Motons. Unless of course you find a set for $1k on Craigslist (which are pretty common)

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
aki said:
RPF1s would be my pick if I were keeping a reasonable budget. Here's a helpful link for popular racing wheels.
I hear ya on this one also, very good wheel for the price!!
Superb quality, and looks in one package!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts