8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so ive a headache of a problem with my 5 speed

EVERY single gear is a pain to get into. so the other day i changed to the new honda fluid and it helped the problem but it still takes WAY to much effort to shift gears.. anyone know the best mtf for my problem??

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
I use Redline MTL. No notchiness for me, but I have an Si, not sure if it's good or not for the R18.

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
I replaced my out when I hit like 3k miles, ever since I bought the car it was notchy and would grind on occasion. With the new oil I have no notchiness and no grinds.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Okay so ive a headache of a problem with my 5 speed

EVERY single gear is a pain to get into. so the other day i changed to the new honda fluid and it helped the problem but it still takes WAY to much effort to shift gears.. anyone know the best mtf for my problem??
Have you cosidered using Hybrid Racing shifter bushings? The addition of those and NEO synthetic oil helped get rid of the inconsisant shifting.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you cosidered using Hybrid Racing shifter bushings? The addition of those and NEO synthetic oil helped get rid of the inconsisant shifting.
+1, tranny got notchy after a few thousand miles on boost. Redline MTL got rid of the problem as soon as I changed it out.
nope the only shifter mod ive done is the twm short shifter assembly, w/o the bushings or anything else. what is neo?

and ill check out redline.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
honda's new mtf loosened it up a bit, but according to everyone on here that only lasts about 6 months, so ill be getting redline or some amsoil mtf..

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
YOU HAVE AN R18 TRANNY! it is just like that, and is even worse if you race the thing. The r18 tranny reminds me of B-series and D-series trannies...so notchy no matter how new it was....its just how they are like. K-series on the other hand, BUTTER SMOOTH!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha took it to honda and showed them whats happening. they said it might have been messed up on the test drive days of the car. and they swapped the syncros for 2nd and 3rd and replaced a gear. now it shifts like BUTTER :) if i had to play for it though, it would have been around 2k

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hah well i go to the guys there for a lot of questions. They where nice to me.. hah
switching to royal purple today, so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I use amsoil mtf. my shifts are very smooth. went to try the 'new' honda mtf, and the notchiness returned, so i went back to amsoil.

everything has been smooth since.

cliffs: amsoil MTF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts