8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read the Detailing sticky already....
I hear using a leaf blower to dry your car???
Does anyone actually use this? is it worth it?
I have been using this shammy thing to dry my car...
What do you all use to dry, I'm afraid of scratching the car with a shammy though.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
leafblower- yes.

if by towel, blot drying is the safest. lay your MF drying towel on the
panel, and rub your hand over the towel or 'blot it' without moving the towel
to soakup water.

problem is, you can't use Prima Hydro with you blot dry.
www.detailersparadise.com

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
I personally just use mf towels and dry it by wiping it off.. But, to be fair, my paint hasn't looked good since a week after it got repainted due to a terrible shop so I'm not really all that cautious.

I would think that the blot method would work best as long as you used some quick spray wax afterwards, that should look great.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I like to leaf blow...or water blade then use the towel so it doenst get sopping wet becasue then is is annoying but if you have a good towel like the waffle one jusst squeeze it eveery once in a while to get the water out..works for me!

·
Registered
728 Posts
A few weeks ago I replaced my big blue microfiber with the Absorber. That, used along with my California Water Blade, makes drying the car super easy and super quick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i use the water blade on the windows, and mcguires water magnet towel on the paint. rasky mentioned the water sprite......i've used that before, but i don't like how that, and the absorber "stick" to your car.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Mr. Clean Auto Dry works good, but you have to replace the filter every 10 washes. So, more pricey than using towels, but definitely easier and quicker.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
todd424 said:
i use the water blade on the windows, and mcguires water magnet towel on the paint. rasky mentioned the water sprite......i've used that before, but i don't like how that, and the absorber "stick" to your car.
Really? I know the Absorber clings to the car but my Water Sprite slides right over the paint. It gets better the more you use it too.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
DUB2CRS said:
A few weeks ago I replaced my big blue microfiber with the Absorber. That, used along with my California Water Blade, makes drying the car super easy and super quick.
Be careful with that California Water Blade. I used to use it on my G35 until one day it put a nice, large scratch on the fender. I don't know how some grit or sand got there as I had carefully washed and rinsed the car. Nevertheless, I won't use it again on the paint. Windows only.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
AutoZone sells a nice, large waffle print microfiber towel. I can do the entire car with it. I also have 3 other very quality microfiber towels, two with silk edges so as not to scratch the paint. I will never go back to a chamois or cotton towels again after having used microfiber. Nothing beats it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
NitrousG35 said:
Be careful with that California Water Blade. I used to use it on my G35 until one day it put a nice, large scratch on the fender. I don't know how some grit or sand got there as I had carefully washed and rinsed the car. Nevertheless, I won't use it again on the paint. Windows only.
The exact same thing happened to a co-worker of mine. The water blade put a medium sized scratch on his 2007 G35, also by the fender. I kinda feel bad for talking up the water blade and encouraging him to get one. I've been using mine for a few years and never had any issues. It's just really convenient when it's sunny out and I wanna get most of the water off before I move the car into the garage to finish the job. But yeah, I'll be careful.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been using the absorber ever since I got my car. Yes, it clings to the car but i think it works best. MF towels leave the streaky looking crap so it kinda sucks. But heres a good tip when your done completely washing your car: take off the hose adapter/extension or whatever it is so you just have fluid running water and coat your car with the water. This way the water just slides off the car and you have less to wipe off. It's in the detail sticky thread if you want to read more on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had great luck doing a once-over with a good chamois (currently using the Black Magic one) and then blotting the rest with a microfiber towel. It's reasonably quick and only needs one large MF towel to do the job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
California Water Blade put a few scratchs in our black 2006 corvette. I now use an electric leaf blower on the corvette and our white SI sedan.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
DUB2CRS said:
The exact same thing happened to a co-worker of mine. The water blade put a medium sized scratch on his 2007 G35, also by the fender. I kinda feel bad for talking up the water blade and encouraging him to get one. I've been using mine for a few years and never had any issues. It's just really convenient when it's sunny out and I wanna get most of the water off before I move the car into the garage to finish the job. But yeah, I'll be careful.
You know, that was the first time it had ever happened to me on any car I have ever dried. When I was blading the car, I heard this screech sound. I looked down and saw a nice, deep scratch that couldn't be rubbed out. I was absolutely sick about it because the G35 is absolutely pristine and doesn't have a scratch or dent on it. I ended up ordering a paint pen from an Infiniti dealer and pretty much hid the scar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts