8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've had my prokit on my car for about 1.5 years now. I love the prokit drop and have on all my previous cars but now my stock shocks are just about done, my car is starting to get quite bouncy. I don't auto x, I just need a comfortable shock that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, isn't a piece of **** though, that will help my ride quality out so I don't have to hear about it from the wife all the time, that's all I need :D . Any recommendations?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HFPs you mean? I had heard that they were stiff, which I could only guess translates into bouncy as well? I was considering seeing if I could find some HFP shocks by themselves but really want a more comfortable ride, not more performance...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
HFPs you mean? I had heard that they were stiff, which I could only guess translates into bouncy as well? I was considering seeing if I could find some HFP shocks by themselves but really want a more comfortable ride, not more performance...
no tokico HP (blues)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hey all,

I've had my prokit on my car for about 1.5 years now. I love the prokit drop and have on all my previous cars but now my stock shocks are just about done, my car is starting to get quite bouncy. I don't auto x, I just need a comfortable shock that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, isn't a piece of **** though, that will help my ride quality out so I don't have to hear about it from the wife all the time, that's all I need :D . Any recommendations?
Go back to stock.

Even though you don't autocross, this info will help you...

ANY of the aftermarket shocks, from the crappy (Skunk2) to the sublime (Moton) are designed for aftermarket (stiffer, shorter) springs. The ProKit, though a good entry level lowering spring, is only about 15-20% stiffer than stock, yet it takes away almost 20-25% of the OEM shock travel. Now you go from 4" of travel to 3" of travel before hitting the bumpstops or just flat-out bottoming out the shock or strut.

In other words, the lowering springs destroy OEM shocks and struts over time, and this is a simplified explanation as to why you will go through OEM dampers.

But to get aftermarket dampers that:

1. Are cheap in cost, yet of good quality
2. Comfy on the street to placate the wife, yet still be capable of withstanding the forces a lowering spring can generate...

Well, either make some concessions in one or two areas or enroll in M.I.T. and develop the thing yourself because what you speak of doesn't exist.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, either make some concessions in one or two areas or enroll in M.I.T. and develop the thing yourself because what you speak of doesn't exist.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
So you wouldn't recommend Tokico HP shocks? They won't help the ride quality that much?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
ill chime in, umm lets see... I have been running Tokico HP shocks and prokit combo for umm 8months now, rides pretty smooth, just the same as stock, a weee bit bouncy, but nothing like bad, i cant wait to get D-Specs to ride those mofos are Soft mode!

·
Registered
665 Posts
i believe i was the first person on the forums with the Tokico HP's (blues). if you check my profile and the threads ive created youll see it was a very long time ago. i ran them with a set of Tein S.Techs.

i do not advise getting them. they are crap. they bounce, and they are not meant to handle at all. but if looks is your ONLY(and i stress that word) concern, then by all means get em.

-RWC8THC

pm me for an ftp account

1 - 20 of 27 Posts