8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in fla..

i think i get a lot of either dust or pollen.. dont really think its dust bcuz my hand is never dirty after a small whipe.. (black car)

what would be the best way to clean it between washes..

maybe a microfiber cloth will do the trick or will it leave swirl marks??
maybe a quick detailer??

i have enough swirl marks as it is..

·
Registered
901 Posts
Alot of people here recommend getting one of those california duster things you see on late night infomercials.

I personally have never used it i use a meguires wash mit and actually wash my car. then again we dont have pollen issues here

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i tried just using the microfiber and it left me swirls. then i used the quick detailer, but the surface really wasnt dirty. that seemed to do the job.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
When I went to visit Rasky, we both agreed that a California duster is one of the worst things that you can do to your paint. My black G35 has gotten all sorts of swirls and scratches from it.

With my Si, I vowed I would never use a California duster. I use either Mother's detailing spray, Chemical Guys anti-static detailing spray, or the Zaino spray. They all keep the dust down and leave a nice shine on the paint.

·
Registered
728 Posts
NitrousG35 said:
When I went to visit Rasky, we both agreed that a California duster is one of the worst things that you can do to your paint. My black G35 has gotten all sorts of swirls and scratches from it.

With my Si, I vowed I would never use a California duster. I use either Mother's detailing spray, Chemical Guys anti-static detailing spray, or the Zaino spray. They all keep the dust down and leave a nice shine on the paint.
Exactly!:thumb:

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Moving dirt around on the surface= microscratches

After talking with many detailers the best way to remove dirt and dust is to wash it off.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
RASKY FTW. I'd listen to anything he recommends.
If your car is well waxed, it won't be as prone to hanging onto dust and dirt. so get you lots of wax on there. It may be smart to invest in a pressure washer to do quick rinses to get all the stuff off then use the quick detailer as you dry? just an idea because I know your not going to be washing your car every other day as needed for a black car to look nice. (understand why I traded mine in now? lol)
IF your car was real nice 'n waxed up, and you were to use a real nice microfiber towel like found at detailers paradise or other stores that sell nice carbon fiber (meaning not walmart, ect) and you don't drive down dirt roads, and the car doesn't look real hazed over, and if you were to do it everyday, I think it'd be okay to use a quick detailer, but maybe that's just me.
Most of the problem people have with the swirling is that they are always pressing down too hard with everything they do. If you could get a nice size microfiber towel and "dust" your car in the same fashion you would chamois (let the weight of the towel do the work).
having a waxed car does help a lot w/ dust. sometimes you can get it looking pretty nice with just a blower (like used for driveways)

BEST SOLUTION: go get your car to a reputable shop and get it clear coated. the main problem here is the honda "clearcoat" SUCKS. go throw on like 3 coats of clear. ohz yeah. swirl marks? no prob, buff it out. your like an Ogre now, you have lots of layers. :cucumber:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maiku said:
RASKY FTW. I'd listen to anything he recommends.
If your car is well waxed, it won't be as prone to hanging onto dust and dirt. so get you lots of wax on there. It may be smart to invest in a pressure washer to do quick rinses to get all the stuff off then use the quick detailer as you dry? just an idea because I know your not going to be washing your car every other day as needed for a black car to look nice. (understand why I traded mine in now? lol)
IF your car was real nice 'n waxed up, and you were to use a real nice microfiber towel like found at detailers paradise or other stores that sell nice carbon fiber (meaning not walmart, ect) and you don't drive down dirt roads, and the car doesn't look real hazed over, and if you were to do it everyday, I think it'd be okay to use a quick detailer, but maybe that's just me.
Most of the problem people have with the swirling is that they are always pressing down too hard with everything they do. If you could get a nice size microfiber towel and "dust" your car in the same fashion you would chamois (let the weight of the towel do the work).
having a waxed car does help a lot w/ dust. sometimes you can get it looking pretty nice with just a blower (like used for driveways)

BEST SOLUTION: go get your car to a reputable shop and get it clear coated. the main problem here is the honda "clearcoat" SUCKS. go throw on like 3 coats of clear. ohz yeah. swirl marks? no prob, buff it out. your like an Ogre now, you have lots of layers. :cucumber:

i could just do what you said and i guess let the weight of a nice mfc do the work..

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
i would not use caldusters or even QD my commuters. just wash it regulary.

if it's your hobby car only driven on dry days and garaged during the week,
well waxed and cared for, then calduster and QD will work great.

·
Registered
728 Posts
^ yeah I've never felt comfortable using QD in between washes. I mainly use it after waxing to make with the razzle-dazzle.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I wonder how much it would cost to have a few coats of clearcoat shot on an Si? It may be cheaper in the long run...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Parking my car outside, my car gets LOTS of dust, especially after a fresh wax. I'll admit I have been using a CD, but probably what got me all my scratches :( I can't stand the film of dust on there, but I certainly can't wash the car close to the amount of times I want the dust off. Any other suggestions?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts