8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a coworker of mine just installed a aem cai. After numorous rides in his car and races with our two si's...the intake deff. made a difference in his cars performance. I dont like to copy, and this makes an excellent scenerio to compare AEM vs Injen. A lot of the posts on here bash the Injen and talk about occasional CEL's...my friends CEL has never came on with the AEM. I'd like to compare them but I dont want to BUY a loss of power and CEL problems. For those of you that have the Injen are these posts true? What do you think I should do?

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
This has been a contentious topic on this site forever.

I myself have an AEM CAI, and it has worked flawlessly since day 1 - and no CEL's.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forklift352 said:
I got the Injen and no prob.I would think their is no diff.Filter on a stick!
That's what I would think. Both are name brands...I can't imagine either company producing a "problem" product...or how one would produce more horse power than other, its basically the same design. MAYBE a different sound do to different bends or different matterials....maybe

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
There's definitely a difference between the two. Look at how the Injen is designed around the MAF sensor vs. the AEM. AEM had to redesign the way it was around the MAF for the R18 and there was a recall on that. The intake turned into a 4 piece intake which is terrible. Yes, it's a tube of metal, however a large portion of your money is going into R&D.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Yodums said:
There's definitely a difference between the two. Look at how the Injen is designed around the MAF sensor vs. the AEM. AEM had to redesign the way it was around the MAF for the R18 and there was a recall on that. The intake turned into a 4 piece intake which is terrible. Yes, it's a tube of metal, however a large portion of your money is going into R&D.
What do you mean designed around the maf? Is there a difference in the size of the piping?

Also, alot of people with the aem have holes that are rubbed in them from the piece of metal that it goes by when installed.

I have the random cel with my injen. Pisses me off! I called Injen the yesterday and I have to take it off and send it to them for them to check out and if they don't find anything, they said that they would send me a new one. I just gotta get to a point where the car can sit for a while. Idk what I would go with, they both have their ups and downs. if they're the same diameter, I would go with whichever one's cheaper.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excalibur said:
What do you mean designed around the maf? Is there a difference in the size of the piping?

Also, alot of people with the aem have holes that are rubbed in them from the piece of metal that it goes by when installed.

I have the random cel with my injen. Pisses me off! I called Injen the yesterday and I have to take it off and send it to them for them to check out and if they don't find anything, they said that they would send me a new one. I just gotta get to a point where the car can sit for a while. Idk what I would go with, they both have their ups and downs. if they're the same diameter, I would go with whichever one's cheaper.
How long have you delt with this problem? At least the way Injen is responding makes me believe that this isn't a frequent problem with that intake?

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
07FiJiSi said:
How long have you delt with this problem? At least the way Injen is responding makes me believe that this isn't a frequent problem with that intake?
I know of at least 3 people that get the random cel as of right now. I've delt with it for thousands of miles and I just called yesterday. If they can't fix it, I thought about being the guinea pig and getting the aem cai and see if I still had it. If I do, something's gotta be up with the maf or something. I'm pretty sure it's the pipe or something. I just don't wanna have to try the aem one b/c I've seen the hole that gets rubbed in it. I would like to have a dry filter now.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Excalibur said:

This is for an R18, but it was the first clear image I could find. The K20 has the same design around the MAF. Notice how the size of the tubing changes for air around the MAF. The AEM does not have this.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Yodums said:

This is for an R18, but it was the first clear image I could find. The K20 has the same design around the MAF. Notice how the size of the tubing changes for air around the MAF. The AEM does not have this.
Do you have a pic of it on a k20? Mine doesn't look like that. Maybe that's why I get a random cel?????

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Yodums said:

Best image I can find now for the K20, but notice how the diameter of the piping changes again.
I just looked and mine's like that too. I guess I just didn't pay attention to it before or maybe didn't see it b/c it was black.

·
Registered
133 Posts
07FiJiSi said:
After numorous rides in his car and races with our two si's...the intake deff. made a difference in his cars performance.
I seriously doubt that.

I've raced two Si's with Injen CAIs with competent drivers and I always end up dead even with them with my stock Si with K&N drop-in.

I really don't see how a CAI alone could make much of a difference in a Si's performance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mrk said:
I seriously doubt that.

I've raced two Si's with Injen CAIs with competent drivers and I always end up dead even with them with my stock Si with K&N drop-in.

I really don't see how a CAI alone could make much of a difference in a Si's performance.
I'm bone stock and with racing him AND me driving his car IT MADE A DIFFERENCE. Granted its intake difference not like adding a blower to the car but its cut and clear his is faster.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts