8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just recently installed a BE-RS strut bar. Not the v-type but just the standard semi-curved one. And I've noticed that when replacing the strut tower nuts that the threads are shy about one or two turns to fully thread through the nut. I checked to make sure that the plate was seated properly and i believe that the plate is just a bit too thick. Is this something that I should be concerned about? I've torqued the nuts to the specified ft-lbs and I've had it installed for about 1 month now with no problems but i was wondering if this is normal or if you need to extend the strut tower bolts to get it to fit correctly.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its been fine for over a month now. i'm assuming that there shouldn't be a problem. its just something i've noticed afterward. like i said it is maybe 1-2 rotations shy of fully threading i was just wondering if anybody else had this issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your threads

My opinion .. if that nut isn't completely filled by the thread then you've lost part of the holding power of the nut.

The Mfg. of the strut bar has made the plate that connects to the top of the shock towers too thick OR your fit isn't mounted correctly.

I would fix this very soon

·
Registered
199 Posts
My opinion .. if that nut isn't completely filled by the thread then you've lost part of the holding power of the nut.

The Mfg. of the strut bar has made the plate that connects to the top of the shock towers too thick OR your fit isn't mounted correctly.

I would fix this very soon
Bolt in hole-1.5 times the diameter of the bolt for the tapped depth is recommended so the tapped hole does not strip out.

UNC Nut on bolt-first three threads carry most of load. First 4 threads carry all the load.

So they said in Engineering School.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi,

I've just recently installed a BE-RS strut bar. Not the v-type but just the standard semi-curved one. And I've noticed that when replacing the strut tower nuts that the threads are shy about one or two turns to fully thread through the nut. I checked to make sure that the plate was seated properly and i believe that the plate is just a bit too thick. Is this something that I should be concerned about? I've torqued the nuts to the specified ft-lbs and I've had it installed for about 1 month now with no problems but i was wondering if this is normal or if you need to extend the strut tower bolts to get it to fit correctly.

Thanks,

Chris
I have had the same question for th guys at corsport, it really shouldn't be a problem, if you feel like you have to fix it go and get some shallower bolts, the taller ones most probably won't come off. My last dsm had the same issue with BOTH the front and rear strut tower bars, nothing ever happened and that car went through 2 motors and a whole truck full of trannies (broken all the time) and I never had problems wit those bolts in four years and multiple engine pulls. Just check them and make sure once in a while.
-Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts