8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to AutoZone and apparently Cali passed a law that no one can rent the scanner anymore....what a bunch of bullshit!

Anyone know any truth to this?
JUst tuned the PCM on one of my rides and a CEL came up...now they want me to spend $250 on a scanner when the damn tune cost $100

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to find out...I can't wait to leave this nazi country...double VLFs , now this? lol

pretty wack IMO

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I know it is expensive,but you can buy a scan tool yourself. That really sucks if they are doing that down there.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
He did mention that you have to buy one.:pat: Unless your a mechanic its worthless.
I must have over read that part,I think you could get one for a few hundred and you could rent it out to your friends,,,lol Alot of us have CELS from mods so it might be worth it if you and your friends work on your rides....

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ask to see the law. Sounds like a policy by the company. If its law...... whats next comunism. This isn't right. The big 3 probably just need more shop time business to help their failing operations. If ya can't rent the tool then they know you gotta pay the big $$$$ to help the economy. Am I makin any sence? :vtec:

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Unfortunately this law is real. I found out the hard way when trying to rent one about 6 months ago. Basiclly i was told the real reason the law was past is because these auto part stores were renting OBDII readers for so cheap that they were taking a lot of buisness away from shops who spend upwards of $10,000 on big machines that do basiclly the same thing.

Im sure the law says something different, but this is what i heard.

Eitherway, you can spend about $50 and buy an ODBII reader that will read and delete codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
scanner

the auto parts store really is not taking business away from the repair shops.
reading and obtaining trouble codes don't mean anything if not properly interpreted.
the parts counterperson is skilled at selling parts, but will they have knowledge in further diagnosing a code that says "lean conditon in bank 2" ????
and majority of the public wouldn't know what to do with any given code. they just trust the person "helping" them to make the CEL go away.

parts store truly doesn't gain anything by reading and clearing the code, what matters is the successful fix of the CEL, which only comes with proper diagnosis of the root problem and not just throwing parts at it.

this will eliminate a lot of MISdiagnosis out there.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Just went to AutoZone and apparently Cali passed a law that no one can rent the scanner anymore....what a bunch of bullshit!

Anyone know any truth to this?
JUst tuned the PCM on one of my rides and a CEL came up...now they want me to spend $250 on a scanner when the damn tune cost $100
aamco will run the scanner for free. then just get the code

1 - 20 of 23 Posts