8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:police: Ok folks-

Its official. Changing the MTF from Honda factory fill to GM Syncromesh with Friction Modifier at 2700 miles. Here's my data:

1. Initially (in the driveway), did not notice any difference.
2. After 20 miles of mountain driving, noticed significant improvement, but still notchy. Grindy going away.
3. After 40 miles, grindy now gone. Really, gone. I pulled over and yelled, "I am sooo stokkkked. Hell ya!!!" I think some distant neighbors saw me dancing on the side of the road, I was so happy about it.
Finally, the sickness that was deep in my guy about my tranny suddenly vanished.
4. After 60 miles, 30 mountain and 30 highway, it shifts almost like butter (on a hot day.)
5. After 80 miles and morning, it shifted just like butter. Better than it did on the test drive brand new.
6. My result after 100 miles, cold (50F) and hot driving (90F): It simply works wonders folks. You can now flick your wrist, and bump it from gear to gear without grind, resistance, and it seems to find the gears much easier, and reconvinces you that you are a good manual shift driver (used to make me feel stupid shifting this Si, like I wasn't sure if the shift landed correctly or not, was it fully engaged, etc.).

BUY STOCK IN PENNZOIL (GM) LUBRICANTS!!!

BSME, Robotics Designer.

-I know mechanics, and when a fluid solves the problem, then its not a bad mechanical design. But certain tight tolerances can cause some fluids to "hydraulically lock" up a mechanical system, because the oil cannot be squeezed into the tight spaces, or because the oil cannot exit them and vacuum lock up the mechanics against the seals.

I believe that all we have here is a mismatch between the probably well engineered gear box, and the probably well engineered Honda MTF, but probably not well engineered that they pair together in some applications, like ours. Its a lack of permeation, penetration, and probably too high of viscosity of the Honda MTF that makes it fail, and others shine, and I do mean SHINE.

If you are convinced that the manual tranny in these Si's are garbage (like I almost was), please try some of this GM or other MTF (if you dare) before you drive another week, take it to the dealer for tranny fix/work, or draw any more conclusions about it. There is a simple fix, I am a believer, and it works miracles. Truely.

To all who posted about this simple solution, I thank you with all my heart and my right shifting hand thats got a thumbs up. You old tuners should market yourselves as experts to Honda Motor Company in solving their most difficult problems. You rock!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I switched out the stock Honda MTF today...

2007 Civic Si sedan...8200 miles

I read that some 07 Si 6 speed tranny were overfilled from Honda, so to verify this, I asked the mechanic to remove the tranny filler plug first to see if any MTF will drain out first....about 1/4 QT fluid drained out...confirmed

I replaced the stock MTF with Amsoil MTF, drove the 25 miles home from the shop, and my impression of the new Amsoil in the tranny:

Much lighter effort and much smoother when shifting between gears, less mechanical feel when shifer slide into each gear, like hot knife in butter :)

With the stock Honda MTF, I have to pay more attention when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, with the Amsoil, 3rd gear change is like any other gears.

I highly recommend changing out the stock Honda MTF with either Amsoil, GM Synchromesh, Pennzoil Synchromesh....etc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have ben saying this since 2002 when I bought my first k-series. That butter feel will disappear in about 15k miles. When it starts to go away, just drain and refill with gm (penzoil). Stuff is AWESOME!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts