8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a compression test for the hell of it a few days ago and cylinder #2 was really low in PSI while the other cylinders were fine and at similar PSI. I did a wet compression test and the pressure increased in cylinder #2 which means my piston rings are bad. I talked to a mech that I know personally and he said that I did everything right and to him sounds like my rings are bad and to him it’s not really worth fixing due to my high mileage and how expensive and long the job is. He said though that my car could reach to 200k (it’s at 143k now) without a problem possibly and said if my car is fine now, just drive it and hope nothing gets worse from it.

I’m just worried since I really don’t want to dump the big amount of money now to fix it and if I leave it alone for a while and the problem gets worse and gets more expensive, it won’t be worth in the future to dump money into it either to fix it. I’m not sure if it’s smart to just sell the car now and abandon it before the problem gets worse or something else?

What do you guys think and what would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
If the rest of the car is good condition and you want to keep it for years to come then the best option is probably to replace the motor. You can probably find a JDM one with less than 100,000 miles fairly easily. Itll cost same if not more to take the current one out and get it repaired.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the rest of the car is good condition and you want to keep it for years to come then the best option is probably to replace the motor. You can probably find a JDM one with less than 100,000 miles fairly easily. Itll cost same if not more to take the current one out and get it repaired.
Yeah that’s a good option, sadly I’m experiencing the paint defects with my civic and it’s only going to get worse so if I keep it for a few more years so the resale value will already be pretty much gone if the paint goes to crap.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So I did a compression test for the hell of it a few days ago and cylinder #2 was really low in PSI while the other cylinders were fine and at similar PSI. I did a wet compression test and the pressure increased in cylinder #2 which means my piston rings are bad. I talked to a mech that I know personally and he said that I did everything right and to him sounds like my rings are bad and to him it’s not really worth fixing due to my high mileage and how expensive and long the job is. He said though that my car could reach to 200k (it’s at 143k now) without a problem possibly and said if my car is fine now, just drive it and hope nothing gets worse from it.

I’m just worried since I really don’t want to dump the big amount of money now to fix it and if I leave it alone for a while and the problem gets worse and gets more expensive, it won’t be worth in the future to dump money into it either to fix it. I’m not sure if it’s smart to just sell the car now and abandon it before the problem gets worse or something else?

What do you guys think and what would you do?

Do you feel any loss of power and acceleration during your daily drive?

Do you see black smoke or is your exhaust tip black like a diesel car's and failing the pollution test?

If you don't have these 2 symptoms keep using your car and decide on the best course of action when they happen.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you feel any loss of power and acceleration during your daily drive?

Do you see black smoke or is your exhaust tip black like a diesel car's and failing the pollution test?

If you don't have these 2 symptoms keep using your car and decide on the best course of action when they happen.

I’ve had loss of power and acceleration for a while now, I honestly thought that’s just how civics are but I feel mine is extra sluggish as of lately. I push the gas pedal to the floor and my car does a poor job going faster and honestly doesn’t even feel like I’m gaining speed when I do that. I don’t see black smoke when I drive but my exhaust tip is pretty black at the moment.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Just do a K20/K24 2.4 liter set up with a CR-V block...contact KMOD, they may even give you a core discount for your 2.0 block.

Even with stock internals you'll still gain 20tq....add stage 3 cams, 12.7:1 pistons, and 280whp is possible.

Your engine is loosing power, and worse issues could arise.
Also, your head gasket around that cylinder may be thinning, with a loose piston, especially with the open deck engine design.

If you love your car...take time and fix it.
If not...leave it.

You won't hurt your cars feelings...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I’ve had loss of power and acceleration for a while now, I honestly thought that’s just how civics are but I feel mine is extra sluggish as of lately. I push the gas pedal to the floor and my car does a poor job going faster and honestly doesn’t even feel like I’m gaining speed when I do that. I don’t see black smoke when I drive but my exhaust tip is pretty black at the moment.

The symptoms you say point to the rings issue. It can be either the rings or cylinder scouring. If it is cylinder scouring you've to either re-bore or go for a replacement block. And you also said in your previous post that the paint is also defective and not in a good condition.

So, the starting point is that you need to decide if you want to keep the car. If you want to keep it, there are 2 options.

1. Find a good replacement engine and just swap.

2. Like mentioned in the previous post, go for 2.4 L engine with a few mods for more power, if you are a performance guy type. But be prepared to lose out on fuel economy.

Otherwise you can just sell / exchange the car for another one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The symptoms you say point to the rings issue. It can be either the rings or cylinder scouring. If it is cylinder scouring you've to either re-bore or go for a replacement block. And you also said in your previous post that the paint is also defective and not in a good condition.

So, the starting point is that you need to decide if you want to keep the car. If you want to keep it, there are 2 options.

1. Find a good replacement engine and just swap.

2. Like mentioned in the previous post, go for 2.4 L engine with a few mods for more power, if you are a performance guy type. But be prepared to lose out on fuel economy.

Otherwise you can just sell / exchange the car for another one.

Thank you for your insight and suggestions and tips! I’m still in the deciding stage of things and again I would love to keep the car for another 5 years but my paint will only get worse unless I dump a lot of money to get parts repainted, which I won’t have if I dump money to get a new engine probably which would make sense in my circumstance lol. I may unfortunately just have to sell it now and maybe look into another civic, at least I’ll still be in the civic family!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I may unfortunately just have to sell it now and maybe look into another civic, at least I’ll still be in the civic family!

Considering the condition of your car and your current circumstances, selling it off could be the right decision. Good luck to you in finding another good Civic.

·
Super Moderator
2,021 Posts
Mine feels sluggish when accelerating from a stop. Otherwise it is smooth and seems to be fine at highway speeds. Mileage is about 32mpg with about 80% highway. You are getting me nervous, LOL.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine feels sluggish when accelerating from a stop. Otherwise it is smooth and seems to be fine at highway speeds. Mileage is about 32mpg with about 80% highway. You are getting me nervous, LOL.
Haha I’m sorry if I am! Honestly I may be looking too far into it, I did have bad misfiring a month ago but putting in new spark plugs fixed that and my symptoms/misfiring disappeared, it honestly just may be how our civics are made and the acceleration isn’t the best but it’s there once it kicks in. Other than that my engine drives fine so I might be making a bigger deal than it is, I really want to keep it for at least a few more years so I may just do that and just hope nothing happens in that time frame.

·
Registered
189 Posts
At least 8th Gen Civics are known to be sluggish at low revs especially below 1500 RPM. So it might be just that or can be as simple as a clogged air/fuel filter or engine oil due for change. Your fuel economy seems to be good enough for the car to be in good condition.

Some not so expensive mods for better acceleration are but not limited to,

1. Free flow air filter preferably a cold air intake.
2. Free flow catback exhaust.
3. Light weight crank pulley ( the increase in the acceleration is noticeable) and the other pulleys of the serpentine belt if you can find them.
4. A sports flywheel which is much lighter than the original but the downside is that deceleration would be much more than with the original.

I've done the first 3 mods along with a skimmed flywheel and the overall acceleration is much better than OEM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts