8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sch. for an oil change at 13,250 miles....last night just while driving on the highway my check engine light came on. My milage was around 13,520... so could that me the reason why the light came on? :eek:hnoes:

At the dealership the next day the codes were pulled and it was something about the secondary o2 making the car run lean and over reving. Now sure I have over reved before but no where around the time the CEL can on.

I have a DC race header w/ the defouler, stock airbox, and tb bypass..but none of those shuold have anything to do with it. The header wouldve caused the CEL to come on right away right?

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
y did you wait so long to have the oil changed?

the header could have but you have a defouler so i seriously doubt that would have been a problem.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just didnt have time to get to the dealership. I hit the 13,250 mark on thursday monring... with work school etc. I couldnt get to Honda untill monday (today)

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
bro you need to find time. i dont wanna sound like your mother but you had time within 13,XXX. im going to call bullshit. be proud of your car. im sure you have someone near you that would love to do it just for fun. hell if any of the cars near me need it done i would love to do it. buy the oil and filter and in 30 minutes its done. please take better car of your car. for christs sake its a si.

i dont mean to be an ass i am just very proud of our cars and thats abuse.

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
:eek:mg: over 10k miles w/o an oil change... i feel sorry for ur car... but hey...

anyways the header more than likely caused the o2 to go bad resulting in the CEL... even if it didn't throw it originally it could definitely cause it to go bad...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:eek:mg: over 10k miles w/o an oil change... i feel sorry for ur car... but hey...

anyways the header more than likely caused the o2 to go bad resulting in the CEL... even if it didn't throw it originally it could definitely cause it to go bad...
No, this isnt my FIRST oil change. Its just the sch. one you know how they put a little sticker on the window which tells you the next time to come back.

Code was reset at the dealer and hasent come back on, but would I need to buy a new defouler to keep it off?

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
No, this isnt my FIRST oil change. Its just the sch. one you know how they put a little sticker on the window which tells you the next time to come back.

Code was reset at the dealer and hasent come back on, but would I need to buy a new defouler to keep it off?
i was getting worried about your car. it sounded like your first change.

·
Banned
18,265 Posts

oh ok... u should make that a little more clear in ur OP... :D

ok so u've had oil changes b4 that's the next scheduled one... ok ok i got it now...

i don't have a header... but i know that those defoulers trick the o2 for proper reading... but it doesn't fix it for real... it's just to trick it... the only way to fix it is with tuning but we don't have that option yet...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so the oil is not the problem.

After getting a oil change yestersday. My CEL came one once again.

Its gotta be something with the TB bypass (done 4 days ago)...before I didnt have the CEL.

Or of cousre it could be the header?

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
107 Posts
best i can think of is...

check ur Mass airflow sensor.. maybe it could be lose and coming apart

make sure your gas tank cap is always closed.. (this will actually cause a CEL)

O2 sensor.....

uhhhhhh if all else fails to it to the dealship man it still has warrenty

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
More than likely it's the secondary 02 sensor. Warranty will not cover the secondary in this situation because the DCRH is making it throw the CEL.

Mike, the next time you need an oil chage just buy the oil & filter & bring your car to my house. I'll change it for you for free.

·
Banned
18,265 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts