8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bad news - our '06 Si got hit in a parking lot and did $4000 worth of damage.

The good news - his insurance covered it.

It looked like a pretty minor deal until we saw all of the damage under the rear bumper cover. It tweaked a bunch of parts and they ended up having to replace the rear quarter panel along with a bunch of other stuff. The door still needs to be adjusted a little bit, but otherwise it looks like they did a pretty good job of fixing it. So much for a virgin car :( .

I told them while they were at it to check the recall and a few other items that will sound VERY familiar to a lot of you. I had them check on the pathetic cold engine driveability and also the typical 3rd gear problem we've been putting up with. When we got the car back they said that they had noticed the cold weather issues, but no engine codes and Honda doesn't have an update for it at this time. If something comes up for it they will let me know. The transmission initially came back with a "we can't duplicate the problem" answer. Here we go again! I took the mechanic out for a ride and showed him exactly what was happening, so now he could see what I was talking about (it hung up pretty good one time while we were out). One other thing I showed him was that if you pull the shifter against the gate at low rpm in 3rd gear it vibrates pretty bad (and not in any other gear). We got back to the dealership and they made a call to Honda. They mentioned the TSB about the new fluid and he also mentioned one about a 3rd gear shifter fork. I had heard about these, but he also said that they told him about a new TSB that will be coming out in about 3 weeks that will involve replacing the 3rd gear cluster with an IMPROVED set! They're going to be giving me a call once the TSB is made official and set up a time to get things fixed/replaced. I don't know if every dealership will tell you about things that aren't officially released yet, so your local dealer may act like there's nothing in the works. Unless someone beats me to it (and I'm sure someone will), I'll post a TSB number when it's released. Meanwhile, I should add my name to the "3rd gear problem" list.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I recently got my rear bumper hit hard but minor damage was caused...do you happen to know what the "tweaked" damage under the bumper was?

i looked under and everything looked fine but i am no tech :iorun:

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
If this is true, I hope you don't mind some manlove, because I'm going to kiss every single person on this forum.

I hope this is true, but sadly, it always seems like it is me who has to dig for the TSB and Recall information, and my dealership denies all of it until I dig it out for them.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm sorry for your problems, but if they're telling you the truth then you've just made a lot of people very happy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Razer - the guy that hit the car managed to hit it at a really funny angle. Judging from the damage, he came from the driver's side and clipped the back bumper. He didn't hit any visible sheetmetal. The trunklid was untouched, but you could see the fender was folded in from the leading corner of the taillight straight down. What he managed to do was smash the structure underneath the corner of the bumper cover. The taillight was broken out and you could see there was a lot of plastic underneath it broken. Part of the reason for the high dollar amount was that they had to buy a complete fender, bumper cover, taillight, and all of the plastic covered by the bumper cover. The sheetmetal came in numerous different pieces, so they had to patch things together. The labor bill was pretty high because of all the welding and such that they had to do. I'm guessing that just replacing the plastic reinforcements underneath the cover would be substantially cheaper. If you can't see any tweaked sheetmetal then it probably didn't do as much damage. The body shop employee I talked to said that these cars will tend to tweak up along the rear roof line and down at the rear-bottom of the door. He checked those areas pretty carefully when he was doing the estimate. Don't know if it's a coincidence (probably not), but the places he looked were along some of the joints where the new fender was welded in. Hopefully yours isn't bulging in these areas.

Ringpop & Mitch - Yes, I hope this guy is right. He called Honda while I was at the dealership this afternoon, so the info he got was as up-to-date as he could get. We're already past the "there's nothing wrong with it" stage, so he looked up / asked about what needs to be done. He agreed with me that the new oil was a band-aid and offered to change it until the new TSB comes out to try to make it better for the time being. I told him I'd just wait until the TSB was made official. The words he used was that it is an "improved" 3rd gear cluster. If this whole thing pans out, I think it will probably be worth the wait to get an improved part rather than just a replacement that stands a good chance of having the same problems. I'm curious to see if anyone else starts getting this information. Judging from the list of 3rd gear problems, I'm guessing a few people will start pushing their dealerships for some info...

I was fairly impressed with the dealership, because he actually came back with the TSB's that were related to the car. I went in knowing what TSB's were out there for it and I never had to bring it up. I (think I) would have been happy with just the shifter fork being replaced, but he brought up the new information I shared and suggested to wait until it came through. He said the symptoms were consistent with what the TSB is supposed to cover. All I can say is... Good Luck to us all! This will make for a LOT fewer frustrated Si owners. Now if they can just get the car to run worth a crap in warm-up mode!

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
If you talk to your dealer again, tell him that many, many people with Si's also have this problem (it's huge), and many of us cannot get our dealers to replicate the problems (or they refuse to).

Ask him what we can do to get them to admit this to being a problem, if you would. I'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'll be a while until I talk to the dealer again, but I'll have a talk with them when I get the chance.

In my case, I took the mechanic for a ride myself and showed him what it did. Fortunately it hung up while he was in the car. I told him how engaging 3rd feels noticeably different than the other gears and showed him the vibration in the shifter at low rpm. From what I could tell, the technician just got a typed out complaint from manager and that's really all they have to go on. It was kind of like a light clicked on when I showed him. Hopefully this TSB gets out there and gives a little more visibility to the issue. We took the car in with less than 15k miles on it with the complaint of cold engine driveability and with the transmission. It's important that anyone that has ANY issues with the transmission acting up (or the driveability issue) reports it to their dealership so it's on file as a complaint. It's the only way Honda has to find out about this stuff. Sure, a few of them read forums like this. It's mostly people at the design level trying to get a feel for what people think of their products and lawyers looking for excuses not to warranty things. Most management types couldn't give a rat's butt about what some message board on the internet says. For all they know, it could just be a few PO'd people trying to raise a stink. The service department is where they look for the information. If it seems like your dealership isn't doing anything, ask them for a phone number or other means of contact for their Honda territory manager. If the TM's hear enough complaints, eventually they will listen (or at least that's the theory).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts