8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my car for about 6 months and to me it seems that I get really bad mpg the most I get is like 22-24 combine if I don't go above 4.5k rpm, but if I drive only city I get 16-19 depending on how I drive is this normal ?? ( south Florida weather, about 23 miles to work on hwy and 5 to school city)

·
Registered
159 Posts
And I thought my R18 was giving me sad numbers (28-29 combine / 24-26 city) :bricks:

A/C drops your mpg by 15-20% and engaging V-tec takes a toll too, but I would take the car for an inspection, only time I've seen that mpg was on a badly tuned stage 2 GTI going balls out

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I like to think on the bright side. To me it seemed like I got the same gas mileage regardless of how much I beat on the car. Sort of like the reason you get a diesel is because it gets the same gas mileage regardless of what you tow.

So get about having as much fun and RPM per gallon as possible.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's a good point of view.

In one of my previous cars the fuel economy changed less than 15% no matter that I redlined the crap out of it, while in other, there was 70% difference

·
Does this do anything?
2,716 Posts
I don't go above 4.5k rpm,
Depending on throttle input, this could be the issue. The K20 isn't exactly a low-range torque monster, it's significantly more powerful the higher the revs get. Depending on conditions, it can be more efficient to ride out the revs in a lower gear with a lower throttle input than it will be to upshift prematurely and use more throttle input at a less powerful (and therefore efficient) engine speed.

Also, replace your air filter, clean your MAF sensor, and replace your upstream oxygen sensor. Those, along with fouled spark plugs (original plugs should have a 100k+ mile service life) are the biggest contributors to fuel economy on a stock car.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks for all your answers I'll try cleaning the maf and throttle body

And I get about 280-300 miles
If you're getting about 280-300 miles, I'm assuming you are pumping when light goes on which is roughly around 2 gallons remaining. Are you running your tank empty then pump because our car holds about 13.1 gallons? Next time reset your trip and divide the miles by the number of gallons you pumped.

FYI I have intake and exhaust with tuned and I average around 23-25MPG with mixed city/hw with a lot of stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no thats why i think is weird, I always put gas when i +/- half tank. but i will try that today when i put gas usually its around 150 miles to half and 6-7 gallons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts