8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am wondering if the issues that I am having pertain to the head gasket, which I am hoping it is not.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Oil is a bit tinted white but is not "frothy"
The car overheats when idle, but when it is moving it cools down to normal temperatures.

There's no other common signs of a head gasket leak, which is throwing me off. And I would expect the engine to overheat even when moving to be considered a head gasket situation.

What do you think?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello,

I am wondering if the issues that I am having pertain to the head gasket, which I am hoping it is not.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Oil is a bit tinted white but is not "frothy"
The car overheats when idle, but when it is moving it cools down to normal temperatures.

There's no other common signs of a head gasket leak, which is throwing me off. And I would expect the engine to overheat even when moving to be considered a head gasket situation.

What do you think?
Once coolant starts leaking into the oil, if you don't fix it, you are going to have a bad time.

You can: fill up the coolant levels in the radiator to a know level after changing the oil. Run the car 50 miles, drain the radiator fluid. If you have less than you put in, you have a head gasket leak. You can confirm by checking the color of the oil agian.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you checked your cooling fans? are you losing coolant? do a radiator compression test - if its not leaking from that then do a leakdown compression test or at the least a standard compression test

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it overheats while idle, but not while moving then I'm with Will_i_Code, it's most likely a cooling fan issue.

When sitting idle, is the cooling fan spinning at all, spinning at low or high speed? Can you get out of the car and pop the hood, you should see BOTH fans spinning, many times 1 fan will die before the other. You may be cooling just half your radiator. If the engine is that hot, you should be able to roll your window down and hear it, the fan coil whine is pretty loud when it's spinning on high speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts