8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright my day was going fine until i got off work. I went to fill up my car at a chevron, put about 10 dollars in. A mile or two down the road my car starts backfiring sputtering and such. Irritated I park my car at my apartment complex in the fire lane, because I couldn't find a parking spot. Not ten minutes later a damn tow truck comes to get my car, thank god i saw that ***** coming, i ran out there and had to pay him 38 dollars to put the car down. I swear he had up in the air in ten seconds.

Anyways what do you guys think i should do?
I am gonna get it towed to the dealership tomorrow because I can't bear to drive it like it is. I could barely get the thing to start to show my roomates.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Quite possible. Almost every gas station, at least in Canada, makes an effort to test for water and quality. Sometimes, however, there can be water in the tank. Get the fuel tested for h2o.

I doubt Chevron has 'bad' gas, because they're Top Tier. Who knows, maybe all Chevron gas is bad. Today too, I fueled up at Chevron, $15 worth, then my car threw a CEL a few hours later.

hmmm.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I thought they were good too. I usually fill up at one of those off brand stations and I thought I would treat my car to something better.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It all depends, maybe the company has a great history, but that doesn't mean there are no bad loads every once in awhile. Like Honda, every once in awhile you get someone with a horrible experience with one of the cars.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fgured once I find out what the diagnosis is and the cost of the repair, I am getting that staition or chevron to pay for it. It aint gonna be me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
do you fill it up regularly or just add a few gallons at a time??? if the latter, then it is possible that water condensation(warm days, cool nites) in the tank is causing the problem. don't know if you can find "Heet" or similiar product in florida, but try adding that to the tank and then getting to a gas station to fill up. the "Heet" or alcohol helps "dry out" the water in the tank. up north we commonly use Heet when it gets real cold and gas line freeze is possible because of minute amounts of water in the tank. Heet takes a few minutes to work. I have had gas line freeze years ago, put in the Heet and wait about 15 minutes and it starts and runs fine. another possible scenario below.

Also do you run your tank almost empty from time to time?? if not, then some of your gas in your tank is old. gas today doesn't last much more than 30 days. I routinely fill my tank up all the way, and drive it down past the 1/4 tank mark before refueling. I use Shell 87 octane straight gas, no ethanol.

it is possible you got some bad fuel. locally we had a delivery driver drop diesel in the 87 octane tank at a gas station in a nearby town last summer. the local chrysler dealer was inundated with cars running like crap, as where other dealers. the parts guy at the dealership frequents my favorite watering hole and told me this. the fix was to drain the tank and fuel lines, flush lines, new fuel filter and flush the fuel injection system.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually run the tank pretty low, sometimes I feel bad that I do. The gas is never more than a week old at most.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Shell and Citgo...... in case I cant find them, Exxon.

Ive taken my Si to Chevon once..... no problems.....

However, this guy working in a gas station told me to becareful, people put water with gas.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
jdecker said:
Alright my day was going fine until i got off work. I went to fill up my car at a chevron, put about 10 dollars in. A mile or two down the road my car starts backfiring sputtering and such. Irritated I park my car at my apartment complex in the fire lane, because I couldn't find a parking spot. Not ten minutes later a damn tow truck comes to get my car, thank god i saw that ***** coming, i ran out there and had to pay him 38 dollars to put the car down. I swear he had up in the air in ten seconds.

Anyways what do you guys think i should do?
I am gonna get it towed to the dealership tomorrow because I can't bear to drive it like it is. I could barely get the thing to start to show my roomates.

i just graduated from UF in gainesville this past may. a few things:

1. which chevron do you go to? b/c i remember in the alligator and gville sun that there was a certain chevron station that had REALLLY crappy gas and gave ppl problems.

2. wade raulerson honda on main street are full of IDIOTS. and they're the only dealer in gville.

3. yes, those tow trucks are notorious and are like sharks. i remember whem my pledge bro in my fraternity parked his car for like two minutes to drop something off at a friend's apartment complex (which was a decal-required one) and the tow truck guy came up and was about to tow it until he saw me get out and drive the car around the block.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've never had a problem with Chevron gas out here in California. Also here according to CA vehicle code 22658....

(B) Upon the request of the owner of the vehicle or that owner’s agent, the towing company or its driver shall immediately and unconditionally release a vehicle that is not yet removed from the private property and in transit.

(C) A person failing to comply with subparagraph (B) is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(2) If a vehicle is released to a person in compliance with subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1), the vehicle owner or authorized agent shall immediately move that vehicle to a lawful location.

(h) A towing company may impose a charge of not more than one-half of the regular towing charge for the towing of a vehicle at the request of the owner, the owner’s agent, or the person in lawful possession of the private property ( )13 pursuant to this section if the owner of the vehicle or the vehicle owner’s agent returns to the vehicle after the vehicle is coupled to the tow truck by means of a regular hitch, coupling device, drawbar, portable dolly, or is lifted off the ground by means of a conventional trailer, and before it is removed from the private property. The regular towing charge may only be imposed after the vehicle has been removed from the property and is in transit.

So in other words, if they haven't removed the vehicle from the property you have the right to have the vehicle back at no charge and move your vehicle at a lawful location.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
^i guess either laws aer different or tow truck companies just dont' care.

esp. in gainesville where the town is NOTHING but college students, tow truck companies will try to make that extra dollar, even if it means breaking the rules/regulations.

and btw, florida has the REAL orange county - ORLANDO! =)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Driversound said:
I've never had a problem with Chevron gas out here in California. Also here according to CA vehicle code 22658....

(B) Upon the request of the owner of the vehicle or that owner’s agent, the towing company or its driver shall immediately and unconditionally release a vehicle that is not yet removed from the private property and in transit.

(C) A person failing to comply with subparagraph (B) is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(2) If a vehicle is released to a person in compliance with subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1), the vehicle owner or authorized agent shall immediately move that vehicle to a lawful location.

(h) A towing company may impose a charge of not more than one-half of the regular towing charge for the towing of a vehicle at the request of the owner, the owner’s agent, or the person in lawful possession of the private property ( )13 pursuant to this section if the owner of the vehicle or the vehicle owner’s agent returns to the vehicle after the vehicle is coupled to the tow truck by means of a regular hitch, coupling device, drawbar, portable dolly, or is lifted off the ground by means of a conventional trailer, and before it is removed from the private property. The regular towing charge may only be imposed after the vehicle has been removed from the property and is in transit.

So in other words, if they haven't removed the vehicle from the property you have the right to have the vehicle back at no charge and move your vehicle at a lawful location.
Um, the original post said his car was already lifted in the air, which means that it was already hitched. Your excerpt defends that the tow truck can still charge up to 1/2 of regular towing fees.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think all gas is pretty much the same. I mean, it's not like every brand has their own private pipelines across the country, so all the gas in one area comes from the same place. Different companies add their own detergent to make it "unique", but they all have to meet government standards for that.

Honda and some other companies recommend "top tier" gas, which supposedly has more/better detergent than the government requires, but I'm not sure it makes any difference for a typical driver.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
telloh said:
I think all gas is pretty much the same. I mean, it's not like every brand has their own private pipelines across the country, so all the gas in one area comes from the same place. Different companies add their own detergent to make it "unique", but they all have to meet government standards for that.

Honda and some other companies recommend "top tier" gas, which supposedly has more/better detergent than the government requires, but I'm not sure it makes any difference for a typical driver.
for any one not caring and just looking for something to get em from A to B it really wont matter. But for those who know about cars they demand the best gas they can get.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
telloh said:

later down the road, check to see how much carbon build up ur car has compared to those who actually care what gas goes into their cars.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Shell VPower FTW! :thumb:

However, no matter where you fuel, if you see the gas tanker driving away from the station, find another one or come back later.

When they fill the underground tanks, it stirs up sediment and water from the bottom of the tank. You fill up, you get all that in your gas tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just don't get emotional over a fungible product like gas. I understand detergent makes a difference, but all gas sold in the USA has detergent.

It's quite possible engines run on top tier only will have less carbon on the valves after a hundred or a couple of hundred thousand miles. Possible. But the ads are pure hype. As a reality check, call Honda and ask "is it OK to put BP premium gas in my Civic SI?". Guess what their answer will be.

As far as Shell Super Duper 93 .. shrug. If you drove your car filled with a tank with of another brand of premium (92 octane instead of 93), do you think you really think you could you tell the difference? (And be honest).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts