8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I backed into my neighbors parked `car....my fault but damn this fool parks in a bad spot.

Anyways, just saw his license, registration, no insurance showed...prolly doesn't have any. His reg. is not in his name, and paperwork is just a mess. I don't know who the owner is (he says he is), but they have like 8 ppl living there and 8 cars, at least 3 have paper plates for over a year, one has expired tags and parks on the street always.

His truck is F'd up already, and one quick estimate was $1800.

Deductible is $500, but now I am wondering about his legality to even live in the united states...he told me he bought the truck 2 months ago...but it's been wrecked for over a year and a few of their cars have expired tags.

If this guy isn't legal...doesn't have registration or insurance...am I still liable?
I guess my insurance will settle this. I called them last night.

Not looking to get out of it...I did what I did, but I am interested in the laws about all of this...esp if he doesn't have insurance, no proof of ownership/registration and other legal issues.

I feel so bad...stupid 2006 Frontier...took out rear pass. door only...

My civic..plastic bumper just scuffed. I was going 2-3mph and barely got it.

Pisses me off because we suspect them for robbing us a few times and stealing gas from our vehicles.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
Are you liable? Yes.

Can he hold you to it, if he is without insurance? Yes. Although, he would have to take you to court, sacrificing his anonymity, if he does happen to be illegal.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Damn, that sucks. My opinion, just pay your $500 deductible and be done with it. If you really want to get into all the liability arguments with your neighbor, things are going to get ugly, especially if you suspect them of other illegal activity. Just cover your ass and call it a day. Don't give them a bunch of reasons to retaliate. Especially if they see you on a day to day basis. All that nonsense will escalate quickly.

I did something similar about 10 years ago back when I was in college. (Showing my age) I was in a hurry for an exam, backed out of my driveway into my neighbor's work van as he was driving down the street. I had big steel bumpers on my truck, so it DESTROYED his van. I wasn't even going fast. Over $4000 in damages to his van. Thank god for insurance. An adjuster came out and cut him a check for the estimated damages, I paid my $500 deductible, and we are still cool to this day.

On a separate note, get yourself some cameras recording to a dvr so you can catch your theif in the act. DVR systems have gotten pretty cheap these days.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Tell him that if you take responsibility via your insurance company, you'll just give them a call after calling the INS and gauge his response.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah insurance is handling it...they will determine whether to pay him based on their illegal activity.

$500 deduct. will cover my car so I'm cool.

Defintely don't want to anger my neighbors to the point where they will do some more ***** made stuff.

And I got cameras! Just never caught em...yet!

·
Registered
666 Posts
yeah IF he's an Illegal Sh*t HEAD srry when Illegal's are collecting Government subsidies thats just fucd up and make me hate em no matter how "HARD OF WORKERS" they are. Take him to Court he wont show lol If he doesnt belong here then Technically his car wouldnt have been parked there for u to hit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts