8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
thinkin about an RX-8?!?!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I've had my laptop for about two weeks now. AND, seeing how Vista works... doesn't quite impress me. It takes up too much space and memory, with that being a laptop. Vista IMO is all about looks, and for computer noobies who needs a "pop-up helper" for everything. My laptop specs are pretty decent for the new Vista, but would be a killer for XP.

So here's the question.... "Is it possible for Vista to be 'downgraded' to a Window XP format???"

Here are the specs:

AMD Turion 64 Mob Tech 2.2 GHz
80 GB HDD, 1GB DDR2
ATI Radeon Xpress 1100

All this for 600 bucks. I just needed a decent laptop, not one of those 2k stack brands...

Any help?!? :sadwavy:

Thanks. Vo.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Just played around with a HP laptop that was running Vista. It does look good, and it has some amazing features. But im going to stick to XP unil atleast sp2.

I dont see why you couldnt downgrade to Windows XP.

·
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AbsoluteGG said:
I just got my laptop with Vista too. And yea its really about looks. It has so much **** when you start up the computer it takes a while to load everything.
When buying a new computer/laptop... You should always uninstall those crappy programs that are for tech noobs. Keep the ones you need. And de-noobinize the device.

Things like "Launch Manager"... "Desktop Window Manager"(wtf is that for???)... Anything that enhances or makes it easier to operate the device, is not needed.

sk33ny said:
Just played around with a HP laptop that was running Vista. It does look good, and it has some amazing features. But im going to stick to XP unil atleast sp2.

I dont see why you couldnt downgrade to Windows XP.

There's nothing "Special" about Vista... Just bells and whistles. And the burden of all that space it requires to run Vista.

For some reason, my tech wiz cousin says its not do-able...

Just wonderin.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
k20z3Vo said:
When buying a new computer/laptop... You should always uninstall those crappy programs that are for tech noobs. Keep the ones you need. And de-noobinize the device.

Things like "Launch Manager"... "Desktop Window Manager"(wtf is that for???)... Anything that enhances or makes it easier to operate the device, is not needed.

There's nothing "Special" about Vista... Just bells and whistles. And the burden of all that space it requires to run Vista.

Just wonderin.
I dont see why its not possible. Theres nothing stopping you from putting Windows XP on.

Also, Direct X on the desktop = special ;)

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
AbsoluteGG said:
i want to uninstall google desktop but im afarid it will delete something else. like i already tried it and it asked to close internet explorer and aim, so i'm wondering why?
Google desktop integrates its self in to other programs. It requires them to be shut down when you uninstall it.

·
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AbsoluteGG said:
idk i have a lot of ****. like windows defender, windows fax and scan, windows live messenger download, windows meeting place etc. i have a dell so i also have a lot of dell support ****.

windows defender, im not too keen on that... but good ole' norton does the job for me... get what im saying?! windows fax and scan? ok...?! and do you really chat with WLM? and unless you're in a big corporation that uses Windows meeting place, go ahead and keep it. Other than that...

File 13 it!!!............ Go thru your programs and toggle the ones you want to keep... turn them off for the start-up... this will save memory for the boot up...

And btw, its a Home Premium...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
u should be able to turn off all the vista features that you dont want...but downgrading to xp could be troublesome with some of ur devices that r made for vista...also u would need a legal copy of xp to downgrade to xp...u could try it then if it dont work reinstall vista (if u have the discs)...just back up ur data first...good luck

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
windows using memory is a good thing...memory sitting there not being used cannot speed up your pc. if you have lets say 1GB but windows is using 250mb, then the 750 is not being used, ie, it cant make your computer faster.

dont worry about the memory Vista uses it to cache often used programs so that your computer is faster. this is how OS X has been doing it for a long time. Vista needs some times to get all the other companies software up to speed, so i still suggest XP but dont worry about the memory.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
k20z3Vo said:

Just wonderin.
lol, except for Aero, and some HDD space. theres no extra burden to run Vista really.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
e60.deluxe said:
windows using memory is a good thing...memory sitting there not being used cannot speed up your pc. if you have lets say 1GB but windows is using 250mb, then the 750 is not being used, ie, it cant make your computer faster.

dont worry about the memory Vista uses it to cache often used programs so that your computer is faster. this is how OS X has been doing it for a long time. Vista needs some times to get all the other companies software up to speed, so i still suggest XP but dont worry about the memory.
What? I dont think so. You dont want your OS using all your available memory. It slows things down. The more memory you have free means more data can be cached when you call different apps. Memory is not gonna stay idle. If it's full then you are constantly accessing your hard drive and hard drive seek times are what slow you down. Why would you want unused apps cached into RAM?

Vista suck serious balls right now. Maybe they will fine tune it later but as of now I would just have XP. You really aren't 'downgrading'. You are reinstalling a new OS so there is no reason it can't be done.

·
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sgtpruitt said:
What? I dont think so. You dont want your OS using all your available memory. It slows things down. The more memory you have free means more data can be cached when you call different apps. Memory is not gonna stay idle. If it's full then you are constantly accessing your hard drive and hard drive seek times are what slow you down. Why would you want unused apps cached into RAM?

Vista suck serious balls right now. Maybe they will fine tune it later but as of now I would just have XP. You really aren't 'downgrading'. You are reinstalling a new OS so there is no reason it can't be done.

So, I'll just have to reinstall the video drivers separately, after the XP reinstall? And whatever else....

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
sgtpruitt said:

wrong. your most used apps will load straight from the memory instead of the hard drive. if another app wants it then it will empy it and fill it back up after its used. but your most used apps will be like lightning because its already in the RAM. you seem to think that RAM takes a while to fiill up and empty...it doesnt. if something else needs the RAM it will empty, BUT when nothing is using the RAM why the F not use it for something else?

OS X has been doing this for a long time except you cant see the breakdown of memory usage easily so people who dont know what they are doing cant whine. if OS X actually showed the average joe what it was doing, it would have an equal number of people whining about as XP or any windows. it just doesnt and does what it thinks is best without telling you. thus people dont know and are happy. windows shows you, then some smart asses with big egos think they know everything and think its doing wrong and whine.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
k20z3Vo said:
So, I'll just have to reinstall the video drivers separately, after the XP reinstall? And whatever else....
It depends on your hardware. XP has preinstalled drivers for most hardware. If you have some major league gaming video or sound cards then you will probably need drivers to use the extended features. But a clean XP install with only the apps that you want to put on there would do you a lot of good. You can run msconfig and go to the startup tab and disable all the apps that you dont want to run in the background during startup as well (XP).

·
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sgtpruitt said:
It depends on your hardware. XP has preinstalled drivers for most hardware. If you have some major league gaming video or sound cards then you will probably need drivers to use the extended features. But a clean XP install with only the apps that you want to put on there would do you a lot of good. You can run msconfig and go to the startup tab and disable all the apps that you dont want to run in the background during startup as well (XP).
Yeah, the laptop came with an ATI Radeon 1100 Xpress video card...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts