8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn my fans on, initially it smells awful. But if you let it "air out" it'll go away.
Also same thing happens if I turn on the AC initially.
This seems to happen only if it hasn't been on for a few hours. Garaged or not, doesnt make a difference. The air vents dont look dirty.
Please help? :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
It only last for a minute or so then it goes away after cycling through... Yeah mine does this too.... I'm thinking it's the Refrigerant that Honda is using....

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mikey! I will try that. I remember it happens also even if im not using the AC, fan only. shut it off, afterwork, use fan (no ac still) and stale smell. I'll keep be monitoring with when I try what you said ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've never smoked or had food in my car, but I've noticed ever since I started using the air conditioner (summer) whenever I start the car that smell comes off. I usually turn off the AC 5 minutes before parking but the smell is still there for 1/2 a minute the next startup...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
go to a dealer that sells this

its made by BG its called Frigi Fresh we use it at my dealership. By far the best stuff i have ever used. you spray it right in the duct where the outside air gets sucked in from. It kills bacteria and makes it smell nice

·
Registered
676 Posts
Cool, anyone know a dealer in Canada with that stuff? All I get on their website are Midas which doesn't seem to sell anything. Crappy tire dont have em either

·
Registered
631 Posts
Bringing up the past

A Few years ago another Honda model had a problem with the drain hose leaking into the cabin. The only reason that I remember was that there was a recall, and my friends had to take all their cars to the dealer. I don't know how many were defective or what the actual problem was but one of the symptoms was a moldy smell in the cabin. PLugged drains can happen in any A/C unit be it car or home, guess what one of the symptoms for a plugged drain is...that's right a moldy musty smell.

The other bug that I can put in your ear and I CAN'T tell you why, is that there could be some kind of water leak from the outside into your cabin air intake. If you have had any HEAVY rains recently, that may be the problem. I doubt that this is the problem though. The one piece of advice that I can offer you regarding this is to run your MAX A/C durring heavy rains. That way it's drawing air from inside the cabin, and not sucking in moisture from the outside.

If it doesn't smell like mold or must then you probably have what I have...a three year old that likes to spill her drink and french fries on the floor.:laughing:

Anyway, time to enjoy my weekend.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It's just a way of keeping moisture out durring heavy rains. I would think that it is prob. the HAC drain or bacteria thing. But they both stem from the same thing I think. moisture in the AC ducts.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hmm, I park in an underground spot, and it hasn't been raining that much. The smell has been around ever since I started using the A/C this summer.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
msqr said:
Hmm, I park in an underground spot, and it hasn't been raining that much. The smell has been around ever since I started using the A/C this summer.
Take it to the dealer if it's under warranty and see if they can come up with a solution and then let all of us know what they say.

·
Registered
631 Posts
msqr said:
Probably the drain thing then. or the cabin filter.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'm going to bring it in to the dealer again (already brought it in once for this issue) if the suggestions in this thread doesn't help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts