8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

During the past week, my 2010 Civic LX has developed a horrible sounding scraping noise coming from the right-front brake.

It happens everytime I apply the brakes, at any speed. Too, it seems like it drags when starting from a stop, as I can hear the same noise for about 5 seconds after starting out. After about 5 seconds of being in motion, I can't hear the noise anymore. Not sure if the noise actually stops, or if it just becomes impossible for me to hear due to road noise.

Lastly, sometimes I can hear the noise while turning the wheel going around a curve, in either direction, with my foot OFF the break until I straighten out the steering wheel.

I should mention that the brakes themselves feel normal. There is no pulsation in the pedal, nor any pulling to one side or the other while braking.

Check out the attached picture and video, hopefully they work. The brake rotor on the right front is heavily grooved and scored, and rough to the touch. The other picture is my other (good) rotor, for comparison purposes. Lastly, the video is an attempt to capture the noise in action. Turn your speakers up a bit, and listen as I'm approaching the stop sign.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what the heck is going on here, and what the issue might be?
View attachment 192909

VIDEO:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjV8QaqYuJcagbRcqB4BTxsbIgIq1w

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So change the brakes or at least take the wheel off and look. That it the tip. Take apart and look for problem.
Thank you for the reply.

Brake pads and rotors were all replaced about 10K ago, so neither should need replaced. Unless something fell apart or otherwise failed.

When I take the wheel off, what would I be looking for that would cause this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is seriously something wrong with the trashed rotor. Either the brakes were not changed or the pad came apart. That brake needs to be taken apart and looked at. There is a hole in the top of the caliper that you can look into and see if there is any pad left without taking off the wheel. You might need a mirror. Let me know what find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would encourage pulling the wheel and just spin the brake rotor and listen for the noise. Let us know what you find! I bet some part of the caliper, a clip, or some part of the pad has gone astray.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm guessing that the caliper hung up and the pad is totally gone, with the backing plate eating into the nice new rotor. Plan on needing to replace/rebuild the caliper (assuming I'm correct) and new pads. Not sure if you would want to turn that rotor to get rid of the damage or replace again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, I appreciate the help and feedback. Sorry about taking a while to report back.

Upon taking off the wheel and looking around, one of the brake pads was worn all the way down to the metal. I'll have to look in my log, but I know I just replaced the pads not long ago. It didn't even cross my mind it could be the pads, as I have never had a set last such a short length of time. And yes, these ones are 3rd party pads.

Too, there was no warning whatsoever, no "light scraping" that the OEM brake pads make when they need replaced. One day it was apparently fine, and the next day this was happening.

Needless to say, I'll be sticking with the OEM pads. I'll post the brand name of these when I look in my maintenance log, but they are absolute garbage.

Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's likely the brake wear indicator that's scrapping against the rotar. If it's that then all that needs to be done is just replace the brake pads. Hopefully you get it figured out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
One thing I can add is a while back, one of the bolts that holds the caliper in place came off and made quite the noise. And this was a year after the brake change. Took it back to the same place and they took care of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had almost the same growl.. 1 day it was fine next day it was bad.. pulled wheel, & found original OEM pad with 60,000 miles had sheared off the backing plate.. the pad had at least another yr before the brake wear indicator would have hit.. I never seen a pad shear off in all my yrs of doing brakes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys, I appreciate the help and feedback. Sorry about taking a while to report back.

Upon taking off the wheel and looking around, one of the brake pads was worn all the way down to the metal. I'll have to look in my log, but I know I just replaced the pads not long ago. It didn't even cross my mind it could be the pads, as I have never had a set last such a short length of time. And yes, these ones are 3rd party pads.

Too, there was no warning whatsoever, no "light scraping" that the OEM brake pads make when they need replaced. One day it was apparently fine, and the next day this was happening.

Needless to say, I'll be sticking with the OEM pads. I'll post the brand name of these when I look in my maintenance log, but they are absolute garbage.

Thanks again for the advice!
Just to clarify, when you say "one of the brake pads" do you mean both pads on one wheel, or only one of the pair on one wheel? If it's the latter, then you need to address this, otherwise you'll put in a new set and it will wear prematurely again. Is the caliper hanging up causing this??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clarify, when you say "one of the brake pads" do you mean both pads on one wheel, or only one of the pair on one wheel? If it's the latter, then you need to address this, otherwise you'll put in a new set and it will wear prematurely again. Is the caliper hanging up causing this??

Sorry for the late reply, it was both pads on the right-front. Everything else checked out good, the pads were just that bad. Put a new OEM rotor and OEM pads on, and all is perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts