8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There are a few EG's and EK hatch's done. Probably because there is no means to beef up the drive train to handle high power launches. One of the weakest link on an EVO is their transfer case. Then their tranny. I have seen 2 awd drive Civic's in person. Pretty cool stuff but for the 8th gen the juice is not worth the squeeze. You remember, they had Wagon back in the day that was AWD from the factory.
The videos from the thread I posted have him launching pretty hard on his AWD EG.

You could beef up the drivetrain with an AWD platform just like you can with our FWD.. Better axles, stronger driveshaft, etc.. Why do you say there's no way to do that? I'm pretty sure the aftermarket strengthened gears work in the Element/CRV K series AWD transmissions too.

·
Does this do anything?
2,716 Posts
The videos from the thread I posted have him launching pretty hard on his AWD EG.

You could beef up the drivetrain with an AWD platform just like you can with our FWD.. Better axles, stronger driveshaft, etc.. Why do you say there's no way to do that? I'm pretty sure the aftermarket strengthened gears work in the Element/CRV K series AWD transmissions too.
The gearsets might work, but probably not. And the clutch that splits torque off to the rear differential probably isn't upgradeable without paying to have something custom made, since aftermarket support for performance parts for small four cylinder SUVs isn't exactly huge. You could probably use parts from an RDX, but even then it's only built to handle the 240hp that thing comes with. You'd have to keep it pretty sane using the CR-V drivetrain, just a low pressure turbo to have a bit more power on the top end and not try to make a whole bunch of power down low to rip everything to bits with a hard launch.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The gearsets might work, but probably not. And the clutch that splits torque off to the rear differential probably isn't upgradeable without paying to have something custom made, since aftermarket support for performance parts for small four cylinder SUVs isn't exactly huge. You could probably use parts from an RDX, but even then it's only built to handle the 240hp that thing comes with. You'd have to keep it pretty sane using the CR-V drivetrain, just a low pressure turbo to have a bit more power on the top end and not try to make a whole bunch of power down low to rip everything to bits with a hard launch.
Since when do Honda parts only hold exactly stock amounts of power?

Our motors hold over 400, that's more than double the stock power, and they run great.

Not saying all CR-V/Element parts would hold 400, but there are boosted CR-Vs and Elements out there that run fine with more than stock power.

·
Premium Member
26,125 Posts
Since when do Honda parts only hold exactly stock amounts of power?

Our motors hold over 400, that's more than double the stock power, and they run great.

Not saying all CR-V/Element parts would hold 400, but there are boosted CR-Vs and Elements out there that run fine with more than stock power.

Your right, our motor will hold 400+hp but are trannys start to have breakage issues at 300+ tq. And gear sets are 3K up to 5K just for the gears. FD's are $1200. A friend of mine spent 8K on his Albin trans. What you want to do will not have the same support so you can figure on doubling or tripling that.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Multiple people have added a 6th gear from other cars in to their Element trans to make them a 6 speed, what makes you think you can't add aftermarket gears from the same cars in to the trans?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Back from the dead.

Emails from a few manufacturers confirming aftermarket gears and synchros will work in the manual AWD Element transmission.

Next step is figuring out how to rig up the rear end in regards to axles, rear diff, etc..

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Back from the dead.

Emails from a few manufacturers confirming aftermarket gears and synchros will work in the manual AWD Element transmission.

Next step is figuring out how to rig up the rear end in regards to axles, rear diff, etc..
Sweet. Thats good news.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The engine and the drivetrain from Acura RDX Turbo and the body of 8th gen Civic? :hiding:

It sounds good on paper ....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The engine and the drivetrain from Acura RDX Turbo and the body of 8th gen Civic? :hiding:

It sounds good on paper ....
No way, haha. Engine from our cars, trans case from an Element, aftermarket gears, and a somewhat custom rear end, plus a good form of forced induction. Sounds good on paper AND in reality!

·
Registered
66 Posts
For any one who cares im currently attempting this. I got the front end pretty much done now i just gotta figure out the rear suspension

·
Registered
66 Posts
any updates - really interested!
Rear suspension is done, diff and axles are done, Viscous coupler is mounted, now i need to get the drive shaft finished up then all of the rear is done. Covid kinda messed up the progress, plus i just finished boosting my r18a daily driver so that took some focus

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear suspension is done, diff and axles are done, Viscous coupler is mounted, now i need to get the drive shaft finished up then all of the rear is done. Covid kinda messed up the progress, plus i just finished boosting my r18a daily driver so that took some focus
In for info! Ive been thinking about this for years and if you have the knowledge we've been dying for please do share!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts