8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually very interested in this. If you're not, you don't need to say so; it's not for everyone.

Trans cases look almost identical from the parts page,

Element 5 speed AWD trans case:
MT TRANSMISSION CASE for 2010 HONDA ELEMENT

Si 6 sped trans case:
TRANSMISSION CASE (2.0L) for 2008 HONDA CIVIC COUPE

Here's an example of an awesome AWD conversion on an EG with a B series:
Civic EG :: View topic - awd

Using basically the same steps, do you guys think this would be possible for our cars?

Obviously, a AWD stock Civic wouldn't be much fun, but add boost/supercharger, then AWD? Sounds pretty awesome to me..

If you read farther down, the poster talks about how it only actually cost him about $2000, but he did do the labor himself.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I'm actually very interested in this. If you're not, you don't need to say so; it's not for everyone.

Trans cases look almost identical from the parts page,

Element 5 speed AWD trans case:
MT TRANSMISSION CASE for 2010 HONDA ELEMENT

Si 6 sped trans case:
TRANSMISSION CASE (2.0L) for 2008 HONDA CIVIC COUPE

Here's an example of an awesome AWD conversion on an EG with a B series:
Civic EG :: View topic - awd

Using basically the same steps, do you guys think this would be possible for our cars?

Obviously, a AWD stock Civic wouldn't be much fun, but add boost/supercharger, then AWD? Sounds pretty awesome to me..

If you read farther down, the poster talks about how it only actually cost him about $2000, but he did do the labor himself.

What do you guys think?
Its been on my mind. A lot and I think it would be cool. If I had a enough money I'd try.

·
Does this do anything?
2,716 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of doing it for a while, but with an older Civic. I'm thinking early 90's hatch, but more of a drop the body on my 99 CR-V floor pan and drivetrain, then do up a full cage and turbo on the B20 from the CR-V. I'm kinda just waiting on finding a dirt cheap EH hatch with a blown motor (or no motor). I already have the CR-V sitting behind the barn, the motor and drivetrain are good (only 200k miles, probably needs a timing belt again and maybe some new gaskets, but that's easy stuff), but the body is pretty screwed up after a sibling drove it for a few months and wrecked it. It's the kind of car that I can't bring myself to part with, since it's been in the family since it was new, but I also can't bring myself to repair it since it's so old and not worth it. Cutting the body off and dropping an EH shell over it and making a winter-beater-rally-car frankenmobile would be my idea of an awesome summer project though. Right after I build that trailer on those axles I found, and mount those cabinets in the barn, and rebuild the front on the work truck, and build that gazebo I don't want.....

Does anybody else remember when you used to be able to find old civics with shredded timing belts for $50 from people who didn't want to spend a grand to have the belt replaced?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem with doing it on an 8thgen is there is no channel for the drive shaft. So much work would be needed at a pretty penny.
There is the tunnel for the exhaust till about halfway down the car, then the gas tank and one other piece looks to be all that's in the way.

Anyone got a picture of their cars bottom when it's on a lift? Don't have access to one at the moment to look.

Its been on my mind. A lot and I think it would be cool. If I had a enough money I'd try.
I think it would be pretty awesome, just trying to get some info first.

Hmm would it really be that much work or is it more of Pita work.
Both. A lot of work that is going to be a pain in the ass. Haha!

It would be a lot of pita work.
You build a car around a platform, not a platform around a car.
Eh, to each their own. I like my 8th, but it's going to need traction once I add boost.

That much work. Or it would of been done by now. A lot of modifications will have to be done.
Never said it wouldn't take work and modification! :dance:

I've been toying with the idea of doing it for a while, but with an older Civic. I'm thinking early 90's hatch, but more of a drop the body on my 99 CR-V floor pan and drivetrain, then do up a full cage and turbo on the B20 from the CR-V. I'm kinda just waiting on finding a dirt cheap EH hatch with a blown motor (or no motor). I already have the CR-V sitting behind the barn, the motor and drivetrain are good (only 200k miles, probably needs a timing belt again and maybe some new gaskets, but that's easy stuff), but the body is pretty screwed up after a sibling drove it for a few months and wrecked it. It's the kind of car that I can't bring myself to part with, since it's been in the family since it was new, but I also can't bring myself to repair it since it's so old and not worth it. Cutting the body off and dropping an EH shell over it and making a winter-beater-rally-car frankenmobile would be my idea of an awesome summer project though. Right after I build that trailer on those axles I found, and mount those cabinets in the barn, and rebuild the front on the work truck, and build that gazebo I don't want.....

Does anybody else remember when you used to be able to find old civics with shredded timing belts for $50 from people who didn't want to spend a grand to have the belt replaced?
I wish I could have done that! Just recently picked up an EG to use as a track car sometime down the road. Thing has been a nightmare so far.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you relocate a fuel cell to the trunk or in between where the rear seats used to be and the trunk it should free up some space under the car, you'll probably have to do a lot modification just to the Subframe. Putting in a header can be annoying imagine the exit for the drive shaft. The exhaust would be difficult but all and all! Sounds pretty awesome to me. It will take work but it will be awesome

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well in 5 or so years ill look into it again and ill try if no one else has.
I'm sure I'll have tried it before then, haha.

If you relocate a fuel cell to the trunk or in between where the rear seats used to be and the trunk it should free up some space under the car, you'll probably have to do a lot modification just to the Subframe. Putting in a header can be annoying imagine the exit for the drive shaft. The exhaust would be difficult but all and all! Sounds pretty awesome to me. It will take work but it will be awesome
Yeah relocating our fuel cell shouldn't be that big of a problem. Might even go to a trunk cell, not sure yet.

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be fair, there aren't any shop EGs that are AWD either, and it's relatively cheap to do.. The post I referenced said it cost him $2000.

A shop has no reason to do it because being AWD would change the class they're competing in.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its the sleeper part that would be killer....kinda like my 12 second hybrid :p
Your car is awesome man, haha. :clapping:

Yea it would.

Exactly I'm glad some people see my "insanity" its not about being practical its about your "vision"
It's just the fun of beating people in a Honda, period.

I've been in faster cars, raced 'em, whatever. You pull up next to an Evo in a Subie, you know it's quick. You pull up next to an 8th in a Subie, and you probably wouldn't waste your gas, right? Then it smokes you off the line... You just lost, in a Subaru, to a Civic, from a dig. WTF?!

Just me, but I have a lot more fun in my Civic than any other car. The surprise factor is what makes it fun, probably thanks to the ricers that have all the bark and none of the bite.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Your car is awesome man, haha. :clapping:

It's just the fun of beating people in a Honda, period.

I've been in faster cars, raced 'em, whatever. You pull up next to an Evo in a Subie, you know it's quick. You pull up next to an 8th in a Subie, and you probably wouldn't waste your gas, right? Then it smokes you off the line... You just lost, in a Subaru, to a Civic, from a dig. WTF?!

Just me, but I have a lot more fun in my Civic than any other car. The surprise factor is what makes it fun, probably thanks to the ricers that have all the bark and none of the bite.
Lol thanks, i have also considered it, especially since i sold the 80 civic i was gonna throw on an s10 frame....never thought this car would get here....but awd would be nice, its the first honda and its AWESOME to smoke vettes and camaros and my fav is getting gtos from a dig...kinda like a go cart smashing on race cars

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
26,125 Posts
To be fair, there aren't any shop EGs that are AWD either, and it's relatively cheap to do.. The post I referenced said it cost him $2000.

A shop has no reason to do it because being AWD would change the class they're competing in.
There are a few EG's and EK hatch's done. Probably because there is no means to beef up the drive train to handle high power launches. One of the weakest link on an EVO is their transfer case. Then their tranny. I have seen 2 awd drive Civic's in person. Pretty cool stuff but for the 8th gen the juice is not worth the squeeze. You remember, they had Wagon back in the day that was AWD from the factory.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts