8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much did you guys pay to get proffesional mechanics to install your supercharger or even better how long did it take them? i have never install a supercharger or turbo kit before, just basic bolt-ons, and dont wanna do the install myself becuase i lack the knowledge, dont really wanna blow up my motor.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'd never done one before I did mine. If you can do Intake Header Exhaust you can do an SC. CT-e has great instructions and I imagine JR does too. But for cost to have it done, no clue. GL.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I'd never done one before I did mine. If you can do Intake Header Exhaust you can do an SC. CT-e has great instructions and I imagine JR does too. But for cost to have it done, no clue. GL.
I agree. Its not that hard. I bought my car with the SC already but over time, installed/uninstalled it a lot of times. Plus, if you take your time and install it yourself, you will save yourself a ton of time and money taking it to a mechanic if something goes wrong. Its nowhere near as hard as installing turbo. Besides a pretty straight forward instructions, there are a lot of knowlegable members that can guide you if you have a question or get stuck. Just my thought. I would think it costs $500-600, just a guess though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with the other 2 guys. Doing it yourself will not only save you the time and money but you will also gain the knowledge. I know for a fact JRSC has detailed instructions and there is a helpful thread called something like JRSC install and hints. Use them both and you should have no problem. Im looking forward to doing mine in 2-3 weeks

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
it is not that hard, but it does take time. it took us about 10 hours when we did the install on mine. but we were taking our time. if you take it to a mechanic, unless he has no other cars to work on, you are probably looking at 3 days of downtime minimum. and probably around $800-1200 for the install cost. I'm not trying to scare you, but if you're looking at paying over $200 for a header install, I am probably right on with the price. I would go to you local shops to find out what it will cost, and of course if you do decide to go with someone, you already know what they are charging. and you can go to whoever is best for your needs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
8-10 hours +/- so what ever shop will do it, there hourly rate.example 60 hr 9 hrs.+= 60*9= $540.00. But its really easy to do it your self.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Yea just do it your self. Just dont lose any bolts i lost one bolt for my pulley set up and i was dead in the water. Could have got it done that night but had to wait till the next day. I would say 400 to 600 for a shop to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I agree with the others, it was a really easy install. If you can do i/h/e installs, you can definitely install a s/c, it's nothing special. I was swapping parts between two vehicles with my install so it took me all of 3 - 14 hour days to complete mine but none the less the actual s/c install was pretty easy. Take your car to a shop to get the A/C drained before starting though if you're going to install the A/C line extension. Plus, I'm sure there are some fellow 8ther's in your area willing to help for maybe a case of beer or something...

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
8-10 hours +/- so what ever shop will do it, there hourly rate.example 60 hr 9 hrs.+= 60*9= $540.00. But its really easy to do it your self.
60 an hour is a very generous assessment. most of the one around here are about $80-90 an hour. I'm not sure how many hours the job calls for, but whatever the computer says, that's what they are going to charge. Like I said, the best thing you can do is ask the shops themselves. If they don't have a number in the computer, they are probably going to charge you depending on how much time it took them in the past to get it done (on the same car or similar). It could be as low as $500ish but i highly doubt it.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
yeah that is a great deal. I've uninstalled and reinstalled mine twice since the initial installation, i think i would've gotten mine done the first time if they were gonna charge me $350.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Like most I installed mine myself too with a fellow 8th buddy. Its not bad but again just take your time and check your steps its time consuming but so much more satisfaction knowing you did it yourself.

The only snag I hit during install was getting the stock intake manifold off, as long as you got all the right tools shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
its very difficult to mess up the install... Everything is bolt on and instructions are laid out.

Do it yourself!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts