8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TECH Exchange Editor
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following are some example topics that could benefit from having a TECH EXCHANGE article written. This is not to say these are the only topics that will be considered, but can serve as a starting point for ideas.

General Topics:

How to Winterize your 8G Civic
How to Prepare for Dyno Testing
8G Civic power ratings

Technical Topics:

8G Civic Intake manifold
8G Civic Fuel injection
8G Civic Exhaust manifold
8G Civic Headers
8G Civic Fuel system
8G Civic Body kits conversions
8G Civic Body repairs
8G Civic Transmission removal
8G Civic Safety ratings
8G Civic Engine oil change
8G Civic Transmission oil change
8G Civic Differential oil change
8G Civic Tire Wear
8G Civic Tire Inspection & Rotation
8G Civic Tire Alignment
8G Civic Suspension Features
8G Civic Springs
8G Civic Shock Absorbers
8G Civic Air Filter
8G Civic Disc Brakes
8G Civic Big Brake Conversion
8G Civic Headlight Conversion
8G Civic Headlight Swap
8G Civic ipod adapter
8G Civic Battery replacement

Common Problems:

8G Civic engine stalling
8G Civic engine won't start
8G Civic engine oil leak
8G Civic engine dies
8G Civic engine knock
8G Civic engine ticking noise
8G Civic engine break-in period
8G Civic engine codes
8G Civic emissions testing

Ready to start? Avoid disappointment by discussing your topic with the TECH EXCHANGE Editor and getting a pre-approval.

·
TECH Exchange Editor
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is entirely possible. People that have been contributors in the past can bring their material here and get credit for it.

Don

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm not sure I fully understand what this is. Especially when the "all about" thread just says "approved" and is now locked. Are you looking for people to do technical write-ups on these topics, or are you going to do it? Are you planning on re-writing the DIY's for this?

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
I agree that this is a good idea but it needs to be managed (i.e. photos hosted, easily serchable with keywords, etc).

Maybe a PM could be sent to the DIY authors encouraging them to submit their DIY posts to the TECH EXCHANGE person...

·
Registered
395 Posts
so do we post our questions here? or our thoughts and opinions on the topic? i'm kinda confused. Im looking to start a thread about winterizeing my car, do i post here or elsewhere?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
the only plus i see to this is if (like someone said) a seperate site is hosting the pics so they don't get deleted when people have to clear their photobucket, etc. accounts.

if that is not the case this is just redundant. the DIY section already had this and already has an index. so the only difference is people can get VIP for free and what not. to me it seems DIYs are now being turned corproate i guess is the word

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
I sent a pm, didnt get a reply. sent it friday. way to keep on it guys.

·
TECH Exchange Editor
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your questions, guys. Since I haven't been through every DIY post on this site, I can only comment on what I've seen elsewhere. There are a number of issues that can affect the long term usefulness of posts and a couple of them have already been mentioned here.

One of those is the hosting of photos. This site does have a photo hosting capability and it would be preferred to use that since it stays with the site and it gets backed up every night.

Another is that some (very useful) posts involve a lot of dialog among members and some of the really good information may not come up until a number of posts... or pages... from the beginning. Sometimes, there are corrections that need to be made, but can't be done in the original posts because of time limits on editing.

Others that may post DIYs may not have a digital camera and can't include any photos, or some may not have written things up so that a beginner can understand what is required. There is always room for improvement.

As far as the suggested topics list goes, it is there for you members to use if you're looking for something to write about. yes, were happy to convert the best of the current DIYs, but ultimately, this is about generating new ones and providing the info people need to decide whether a particular task is something they can do themselves, or should get help with.

If I write anything, it has to be useful across many sites, so it won't have much brand-specific information. That is where your own projects and experience comes in.

Another thing is that the search engines like seeing new content, and that helps bring new members to the site. There are always new ideas coming up and new members also help in that development.

For those of you that prefer to do a DIY post as it was before, nothing has changed. Just keep on as before.

Those of you that have previously made great DIY posts have the opportunity to convert them and be rewarded for your past contribution to the community.

Beyond this, with your support and ingenuity, we can all look forward to more great stuff on a regular basis that everyone can benefit from.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Funny thing is that i have pics for 3-4 of those off the list, like swapping to big breakes and headlights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.