8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that there will be a SCCA Autocross School event held Jan. 26th in Summerville, SC (only a couple miles away from me).

I want to go, even if it is just to watch.

I JUST started driving a manual car (my FA5) less than a month ago, and haven't even gotten downshifting down pat yet haha, so I probably won't be on the track. Hopefully I'll get better at it by then though and have enough confidence to give it a shot...

Anyways... can someone fill me in on what usually goes on at these events?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eh... I would like to get into the sport, but I don't know if want to commit THAT much to it. I have a feeling like that school costs a bit more than $30 haha

From what I saw in the link though, I guess it's exactly how I imagined. You drive your car around the track, and someone tells you how to do better around the turns...

Should I bring a helmet and masking tape? or is that generally supplied?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Eh... I would like to get into the sport, but I don't know if want to commit THAT much to it. I have a feeling like that school costs a bit more than $30 haha

From what I saw in the link though, I guess it's exactly how I imagined. You drive your car around the track, and someone tells you how to do better around the turns...

Should I bring a helmet and masking tape? or is that generally supplied?
If it's a big enough event they may have loaner helmets, but if you have a DOT approved Snell M2000 or SO 2000 rated helmet, bring it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I run with that region, they should have loaner helmets.

Don't worry about knowing how to do things perfectly. There is no money to be won and F1 scouts will not be attending. Just go out and have fun. That's it's intent. Further your driving skills, and have a good time.

If you have any questions about anything, shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've decided I'm definetly doing it. It's going to be VERY rough and I'm going to embarrass the hell out of myself, but I want to try anyways. My friend with a black Cobalt SS SC should be attending also, it will be his first time too.

The way I see it... I didn't buy a "sports car" for nothing haha

·
Registered
319 Posts
The only autocross school you should consider if you want to be serious about the sport...

Evolution Performace Driving School,-- Autocross Schools - News

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
Heh, I'm doing Evolution School in February :thumb:

We have two instructors coming down.

As for your local autocross school . . . it's the best way to get acquainted with the sport. Generally, they will set up a few common autocross elements up and then allow you to run with a more experienced driver. You'll do them over and over again until you get a decent feel for them. Later in the day, they may chain the elements together into a mini-autocross course and let you run for time.

I'd say if you have any interest in it, do it. Don't go watch, just enter and roll with it. You won't hurt your car, it'll be fun, and you'll be a better driver in general because of it. I was in the same boat a year and half ago, and I finally got the balls to go out and run my car. Best decision I've made in a while, I met a really supportive community of people and I'm totally addicted to it now.

Good luck and have fun . . . let us know how it turns out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.