8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend is stuck in the parking lot unable to shift from P to R or any gear at all, he is not park on a slope n he is juss sittin there tryin to pull on the stick

added transmission fluid too, nuttin is happening.....

HELP PLEASE, IN NEED OF HELP NOW!!!!!! :eek:hnoes::eek:hnoes:

thx

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, hes doing the usual starting the car, push brake, n roll away.....

now hes juss a sittin duck, the car wont go in gear

·
Registered
701 Posts
well, if the car just isnt moving, call triple a or something and have them tow it to his house, then the mechanic in the morning. is it stuck in P or is he able to shift around with no response?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
There is a little plastic cover above the shifter. If you pry it off you can stick the key in there and move the shifter.
IF he has 2 keys he could start the car with one, put the other key into the release slot by the shifter, then put it in gear.
If only one key then he can use the release to shift into neutral. The car will start in neutral.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
This happens sometimes. Mostly when you park with the wheel turn all the way in one direction.

Try just wiggling the wheel back and forth and it should eventually 'break loose' at which point you will be able to shift.

There is also a plug in front and to the right of the shift knob. If you take that out and push an object into it it will release the lock on the knob.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
no something liek this happened in my rsx
i blew the radio fuse and it wouldnt shift from park to anything...
but it had a key slot that i could put in the shift it so i kind of limped it to auto zone.
so check the fuses and do some research cause there might be a fuse that the shifter is linked to

·
Registered
618 Posts
The owner's manual has the instructions on exactly what to do when this happens. I believe you insert the key in the upper rh part of the gear shift piece.You have to remove the little plastic piece that covers it up first, then put the key in and pull it out of park. It is an automatic lockout. I think it is supposed to keep from damaging the transmission, once you get it out of park, have it looked at. Like other guys said, could be a fuse or something electrical.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts