8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like alot of R18 owners i have an auto wasnt planning on modding it but got addicted to the modding hobby and havent turned back. Im going turbo in few months as soon as i get a good tune and wanted to protect my trans as much as possible. Hence the first step in this process, a transmission cooler, more specifically a Hayden 401 universal cooler. All you will really need for this simple upgrade is the Hayden 401 kit (29.99), Honda ATF (about 25.00) and a small tool selection. Now our transmissions are cooled by the radiator through a small round cooler in the front of the tranny. You will see in the pictures were the anitfreeze comes in and where the cherry juice flows. Anyone that played with legos as a kid can figure this install out, it is a simple worthwhile addition to the auto transmission in my opinion.

The cooler.... with foam spacers attatched.

1- This is the stock cooler, sorry about the pic but yall know about our engine bay.
2- This is a coolant line returning to the engine, follow it down to see it connects to the stock cooler.
3- This is the cherry juice (trans fluid) line, or one of em. There is another one down and to the left i forgot to label. Take out this line to connect the one side of the cooler and then the other.

This is a picture of a feed line on the front of the trans, just showing it so you know how i fugured out which lines were tranny fluid.

Now you gotta remove these bolts to move the A/C condenser. This is just to make the installation of the cooler easier.

Here is a shot of the cooler with the clips to hold it to the condenser.

A shot of the clip through the condenser.

Fully mounted with the hoses connected. I had to dremel some plastic so the hoses could make it through. Maybe not mandatory, but i felt it was a good idea so the hoses werent pinched.

Last pic of the new trans oil lines, i tried to keep them as short as possible and with no extreme bends in them.

Now all you gotta do is replace any trans fluid you let come out. Its a good time to go ahead and just do a fluid drain, your already here may as well get it done. Now put your bumper cover back on and go for a test drive, make sure to check your fluid level again when your done.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Very nice, this will be put in the DYI i hope.

BTW Im 100% following you in your Turbo, any R18 driver whos going to Turbo has balls.

Please post pics and tell us how it goes!

Are you staight Auto? Or manual?

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
wow, in for more replies from OP

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh Adam im straight auto. The manual doesnt have or need a cooler, but the auto tends to run alot warmer. Ive had this on for about 100 miles now and it works great, no issues as of now.... dont see any in the future either. Next is the oil cooler, i will try to do a DIY for that too but it might just go on when the turbo does.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Yeh Adam im straight auto. The manual doesnt have or need a cooler, but the auto tends to run alot warmer. Ive had this on for about 100 miles now and it works great, no issues as of now.... dont see any in the future either. Next is the oil cooler, i will try to do a DIY for that too but it might just go on when the turbo does.
Obviously an oil cooler is required for a turbo, but very nice DYI!

What kit are you going to get? I'm all in to see how this works out! Other than 08 civic and her turbo (but shes manual) i'd love to see this. Are you planning on making a build fourm?

Keep me updated bud!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The kit is already complete, I made it out of alot of random parts. T25, front mount, 410 injectors, turbo smart BOV and Eboost controller, AEM F/IC and wideband air/fuel ratio guage. Its basically the like the TSI kit, but I made it for over a thousand less. I will keep you posted

·
Banned
873 Posts
The kit is already complete, I made it out of alot of random parts. T25, front mount, 410 injectors, turbo smart BOV and Eboost controller, AEM F/IC and wideband air/fuel ratio guage. Its basically the like the TSI kit, but I made it for over a thousand less. I will keep you posted
Ok thanks! Appreciate it! Also, you planning on putting videos of it up? Or anything like that.

What is your take on the Hondanta Reflash?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will post pics and videos when its done. The hondata is gonna really bring some good parts to our cars, I dont wanna drop too many dimes, but i got a good line on forged internals for our cars. But thats not final yet. I will keep you posted bro

·
Banned
873 Posts
i will post pics and videos when its done. The hondata is gonna really bring some good parts to our cars, I dont wanna drop too many dimes, but i got a good line on forged internals for our cars. But thats not final yet. I will keep you posted bro
Appreciate it! Don't let the Si drivers bring you down.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Thats awesome! I've been planning on doing this for a while now, but never got around to it. Nice work! Keep us posted about your turbo kit :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Very nice. I'm doing this as well. I just bought my turbo kit and will begun installing soon along with all the other goodies. I'll be the only turbo'd R18 auto within 150 miles of my house. Hehehe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found myself 8 hours from home on a Saturday afternoon having to find a radiator shop to repair a leak from installing a transmission cooler as shown in this DIY. Hope you are more fortunate than I.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Found myself 8 hours from home on a Saturday afternoon having to find a radiator shop to repair a leak from installing a transmission cooler as shown in this DIY. Hope you are more fortunate than I.
Did you do this the exact same way as he did?

And has anybody else done this?? I'm looking to do this soon

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
My tranny is holding up and I abuse the piss out of it with hard manu shifting and constant wheel spins.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts