8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an automatic to manual transmission swap expensive? Can it be done on a newer cvic 06 ex? I've been doing all these things to the engine and realized that this conversion would make driving alot funner

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
slynx said:
Is an automatic to manual transmission swap expensive? Can it be done on a newer cvic 06 ex? I've been doing all these things to the engine and realized that this conversion would make driving alot funner
why didn't you just get a m/t to start off with? you would have to find a tranny ($) + labor if you need a shop to do it (even more $)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
youll have to change over alot more than just the tranny...dont waste ur time trade in the car

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
projectprelude said:
youll have to change over alot more than just the tranny...dont waste ur time trade in the car
how many times do we have to tell people it is 12098537129357 easier to trade in your car....to change to manual you need a tranny, shifter cables, gearbox shifter assembly thing, new console, new computer which i dont think is possible, and somone to do it....if i had to GUESS at the price i would say....hmmm $5,000-$7,000

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
yeah man it is much more invloved than you think....I would trade the car in and get what you want. Or continue to drive what you have until you get another car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh damn. you can still trade in a car even with all the aftermarket parts and stuff installed?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
heres an idea...take ur parts off and then trade it, then put them on the new car

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There was a shop in my area that did a motor + tranny (auto to manual) swap on my 97 civic. The labor back in 2000 cost me $800 . You might need to drill a hole in your chassis to install the clutch pedal. There might be some welding involved. I suggest you just trade in the car since the FGs are fairly new. It's probably hard to find a used tranny for cheap. On top of that, you will void your warranty. So why not just trade it in?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but if i trade it in i might as well get an si and all my parts are done for. and my interior has alotta damage to it.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
You should just trade the car in and get a manual. It may cost you but it's gonna almost be the same price if you just do the transmission swap. Also, its not like the other civics where you can just find a transmission anywhere.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i don't know because if I trade it in i might actually be paying more than a swap because of the damage to my interior and bodywork done to the exterior.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
just another point, if you do decide to do a transmission swap, your resale will probably be horrible

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maddd cigarette burns because my fkkin friends have no respect for the car so theres madd burns. There arel ike 2 on the ceiling upholstery my driver and passenger head rests have some from the back, the back seats have some, its amazing. I had my whole fender, passenger side and rear doors and rear fenders replaced cuz of a tiny accident. Its crazy whats been happening to it in a year. And now that I wanna have fun with my car and be able to trade it in, i can't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
a auto to manual swap for such a new car will be to expensive and extensive. you will have to get a new trans or find a used one at a junkyard if there is a wrecked one already which im sure there is but not a dime a dozen. for my zx2 i had wanted to swap in a manual would have cost me 2k for parts alone depending on where i got them and if i did labor myself. For you i would think that with this car you might have to have a honda tech do it and you will either get all new parts or used ones from a donor car in a junkyard if you can find one junked. im guessing around the neighborhood of 4-7 k because used parts will save you some and if you have connections you might be able to squeeze some more savings. but i would take your aftermarket off and just trade it in on a manual. better to accept the loss through the trade than to go through with the swap and then something didnt work right or something breaks due to something not working right. i would rather be in a new car than taking on such a project.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts