8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 06 EX coupe Friday and love it like crazy! I had a cavalier before this magnificent car so it is a huge step up for me.

I read the instruction manual concerning the shifting procedure for gears 1,2,3 and D but it was unclear. From what I understand you need to press the shift button when moving the shifter from D to 1. Then from 1-D you do not even need to press the shift release button. Is this correct? I am just making sure I don't mess up my transmission. If you actually don't need to press the button and you do will it hurt anything?

Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it goes into gear smoothly and not grinding or anything, it should be fine. No harm done. Anyone with an automatic 8th gen know this for sure?

·
Registered
342 Posts
You will not mess up your transmission. The button the the shifter is not connected to the transmission itself, but rather just to the shifter mechanism. It is a safety lock out but does not involve the actual transmission itself. In fact if you were to disconect the shifter from the linkage cable you would be able to shift into any gear at any time even with the enging off and the key out of it.

Now I speculate that the reason it allows you to shift from 1 to Drive without pushing the button is that you can't dammage your engine by shifting up from 1 to D. They do make you push the button to go from D to 1 however because you could blow up the engine if you bumped the lever to 1 while doing 60 mph or so. (although I believe the transmission won't shift into first even if shift the lever at that speed).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, its just the mechanism in the shifter. On mine you have to push it to get into reverse. Once in reverse you can just pull it into D. After that it should have to be pushed to pull down to 1. Once down though it should flow freely back up to Neutral. It will not go back into reverse without the button be pressed though. I've had a few auto's throughout the years, but never one that worked as well as this one. I guess i'm not as experimental, but I see no reason for manually shifting your auto on the civic that already revs high and shifts w/o hesitation in between.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts