8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not surprisingly, with gasoline prices topping $3.00 a gallon in most places in the United States, forward-thinking companies such as Honda and Toyota are reaping the benefits from their Hybrid-technology and high-MPG vehicles.

American Honda

"American Honda sales increased 18.6 percent for August and set four all-time records for automobile sales including the best month ever with sales of 156,173 units, eclipsing the previous record of 147,253 set in August 2003. Year-to-date, American Honda sales are up 5.7 percent for the year to 991,754." ...

... "Consumers purchased a record number of Honda hybrid vehicles in August. August sales of hybrids jumped 243.1 percent to 6,562 as Civic Hybrid and Accord Hybrid posted their best months ever. Year-to-date sales of Honda hybrid vehicles (Civic Hybrid, Accord Hybrid and Insight) rose 70.9 percent to 31,201. The Civic Hybrid posted sales of 4,146, up 119.5 percent; and the Accord Hybrid posted sales of 2,336." ...

... "Honda Division sales increased 19.5 percent for August and set a new all-time record of 136,952 sales, breaking the previous record of 131,049 set in August 2003. Individual models that set all-time records include the Civic Hybrid and Accord Hybrid. Overall, Accord sales are up 17.2 percent to 46,153 and Civic sales are up 20.8 percent to 34,762."

Toyota Motor Sales USA

"Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported its best-ever August sales of 205,362 vehicles, an increase of 9.5 percent. Calendar-year-to-date (CYTD) sales total 1,535,849, up 11.4 percent over the same period last year." ...

... "The Prius gas-electric hybrid mid-size sedan enjoyed best-ever August sales of 9,850, an increase of 115.6 percent.

Could it be that Americans are finally starting to understand why the majority of the rest of the world doesn't drive fuel-sucking SUVs? :driving:
 

·
Acorns!
Joined
·
17,760 Posts
gas went from 2.69 to 3.09 overnight for me. Now, 2 days later it's back to 2.89 for 87 grade regular. I saw pumps in virginia today that were at 5.89 a gallon. That's just wrong.

Hybrid sales are going to go way up. I just went past so many used car dealers tonight and the lots are FLOODED with big trucks and big SUVs. It's no wonder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GasPriceWatch.com

webby said:
gas went from 2.69 to 3.09 overnight for me. Now, 2 days later it's back to 2.89 for 87 grade regular. I saw pumps in virginia today that were at 5.89 a gallon. That's just wrong.

Hybrid sales are going to go way up. I just went past so many used car dealers tonight and the lots are FLOODED with big trucks and big SUVs. It's no wonder.
Not sure if anyone cares, but I use GasPriceWatch.com to keep up with (and update) the gas prices in my area. It's cool b/c it's updated constantly with user's input. It will tell you on the login screen the adjusted high/low and average gas prices across the US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
i was visitin a place in ny today, and the premium there was 4.05. The regular unleaded was 3.85.

crazy world. i believe that if we all strike and not take the cars for a week or so, the gas prices will go down to 1 dollar. just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
davydany said:
i was visitin a place in ny today, and the premium there was 4.05. The regular unleaded was 3.85.

crazy world. i believe that if we all strike and not take the cars for a week or so, the gas prices will go down to 1 dollar. just a thought.
That's a nice thought, but the only way that gas prices will go down like that is if Americans truly change their demand for gasoline. If everyone would start car pooling on a regular and ONGOING basis, then demand would decrease, and prices would fall. Any type of temporary fluctuation in demand is not going to decrease prices. (i.e. those silly emails about not buying gasoline on certain days...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shoptb said:
That's a nice thought, but the only way that gas prices will go down like that is if Americans truly change their demand for gasoline. If everyone would start car pooling on a regular and ONGOING basis, then demand would decrease, and prices would fall. Any type of temporary fluctuation in demand is not going to decrease prices. (i.e. those silly emails about not buying gasoline on certain days...)
And one of the best ways to decrease demand for gasoline is for Americans to stop buying fuel-sucking SUVs and convert to more efficient forms of transportation .... even alternative fuels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
true. i agree.

or atleast of they introduce more hybrid SUVs that take less gas with more people carpooling. Large SUVs are perfect tools for carpooling but they should have a hybrid component and engines that don't require much gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
davydany said:
true. i agree.

or atleast of they introduce more hybrid SUVs that take less gas with more people carpooling. Large SUVs are perfect tools for carpooling but they should have a hybrid component and engines that don't require much gas.
Definitely. I noticed that GMC and Chevrolet are both offering hybrid versions of their pickup trucks for the 2006 year. Not a huge savings on fuel, but substantial...and more importantly, a step in the right direction. I would like to see more vehicles like the Toyota Highlander...where the automaker takes their popular SUV and adds the hybrid component.
 

·
Acorns!
Joined
·
17,760 Posts
I just read that toyota is planning to double their hybrid sales over the next year. They hope to sell over 500k hybrid units during 2006.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
webby said:
I just read that toyota is planning to double their hybrid sales over the next year. They hope to sell over 500k hybrid units during 2006.
I think that's fantastic stuff. Perhaps with more people converting to hybrid vehicles...demand for traditional fuel will decrease due to higher fuel economy....and gas prices will start to drop off a little due to decreased demand. It's a pipe dream, but .....
 

·
Acorns!
Joined
·
17,760 Posts
this is all true, but there are downfalls. The batteries need to be replaced in the hybrid vehicles over time. From reports I've read, the batteries can last about 4-5 years and then need to be replaced with new ones. One report said it would cost about 4-5k dollars with labor included to replace the batteries.

Disposal is another issue that really hasn't been fully addressed from stuff I've read too. I guess they aren't the safest things to deal with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
webby said:
this is all true, but there are downfalls. The batteries need to be replaced in the hybrid vehicles over time. From reports I've read, the batteries can last about 4-5 years and then need to be replaced with new ones. One report said it would cost about 4-5k dollars with labor included to replace the batteries.
Not sure about disposal, but the current cost to replace the Honda Civic Hybrid battery pack is around $1250 from what I've read. That doesn't include labor, but I doubt that labor runs $3K to replace a battery pack. I'm sure that as popularity increases, the replacement costs will drop.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top