8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4th run, 1st run with drag radials, car before me broke his tranny and spilled transmission fluid. I got stuck for half an hour, cause they have to clean the track. My times up, I lined up. Rev it to 4500 then release the clutch slowly, tires spun hard over revved, then i shipped 2nd. I heard a loud bang.......... I end up running 28 sec in 1/4 mile. Then I told my self, I'm ******.... My wife's going to kill me, I blew my tranny. Called the towing Company cost me $600.00 from NJ to Long island.

tranny labor $700.00
New Racing clutch and 9 lbs flywheel $775.00
Type R final gear $485.00
Amsoil transmission fluid $30.00

Total cost of stupidity $2590.00
Having a new racing clutch and 9 lbs flywheel and type r final gear, even though my wife let me sleep on the couch for 3 days...

Priceless................................................

·
Registered
36 Posts
i was just going to get some DR's, but after seeing this, i am never going to the drag strip again.

did u powershift? or was this more due to hard launches?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Combination of bad tranny and poor track condition. I been at the track numerous times, but this track is garbage compare to englishtown.
I was spinning at 1st gear, but when i shifted 2nd it just grabbed.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't take this as representative of all transmissions. Normally this does NOT happen.
Well i have a turbo 240whp d series 92 civic bubble, with like 100XXX miles on the tranny, took it numerous time at the track, never had an issue. A 89 CRX with built Lsv with nitrous Almost 300whp with CTR 96 spec tranny. God know how many miles in it. Never grinded never pops, never had tranny issues. Then i have this k series 214whp 10,000 miles. With drag radials only, and this happen's.
Some People might say I can't drive and it's not the tranny. But I have honda's since 1998, never had any problems like this. This tranny is weak..........:readtherules:

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Well i have a turbo 240whp d series 92 civic bubble, with like 100XXX miles on the tranny, took it numerous time at the track, never had an issue. A 89 CRX with built Lsv with nitrous Almost 300whp with CTR 96 spec tranny. God know how many miles in it. Never grinded never pops, never had tranny issues. Then i have this k series 214whp 10,000 miles. With drag radials only, and this happen's.
Some People might say I can't drive and it's not the tranny. But I have honda's since 1998, never had any problems like this. This tranny is weak..........:readtherules:
i agree, the tranny is weak to wheel hop. but honda seems to adress this in the 09's with the updated bearing. 10 vs 11.

my tranny failed like that with wheel hop but not as bad as yours... holy crap.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I feel like going back at the track, but I'm kinda scared. Do you think the type R materials are better than my old one?

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Now I feel like going back at the track, but I'm kinda scared. Do you think the type R materials are better than my old one?
the new bearing is what helps. but you should be ok for track.

listen to this abuse hoping is 1st and big time in 2nd. tranny is still good lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't take this as representative of all transmissions. Normally this does NOT happen.
ive seen some recent posts and pics of ruined final drives. not including the 2 in this thread.

that thing looks it went through a meat grinder.

juice backfires dont normally happened either, but i see atleast 3-4 cars blow and then piss all over the track, each time i go.

probably wrong section to ask this, but...

if the car is marketed for perfomance, meaing u can beat on it, and this was not a driver error, but a mechanical failure do to 'spirited' driving, shouldnt this technically be covered by warranty? my suspension went due to taking to some hard turns, and it was repaired free of charge.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
ive seen some recent posts and pics of ruined final drives. not including the 2 in this thread.

that thing looks it went through a meat grinder.

juice backfires dont normally happened either, but i see atleast 3-4 cars blow and then piss all over the track, each time i go.

probably wrong section to ask this, but...

if the car is marketed for perfomance, meaing u can beat on it, and this was not a driver error, but a mechanical failure do to 'spirited' driving, shouldnt this technically be covered by warranty? my suspension went due to taking to some hard turns, and it was repaired free of charge.
depends, i know stock it will be pretty hard to ruin a FD, i could have got my covered under warranty but i dont trust those techs. they did my friends and broke random clips and over tighten things and made him buy a new clutch. so i tore it down myself and repaired it with a 5.062 FD.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
depends, i know stock it will be pretty hard to ruin a FD, i could have got my covered under warranty but i dont trust those techs. they did my friends and broke random clips and over tighten things and made him buy a new clutch. so i tore it down myself and repaired it with a 5.062 FD.
Same thing happened to me, My car was at the dealer already, but pulled it out,cause I know they going to deny my warranty anyway. My fault for going to the track, but Honestly I don't think it's my fault. This is unacceptable for a a sport edition car. There advertisement says Revved it up. But they forgot to include, just not too high it might grind or break to pieces.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
i've been to the track 5 times with my car, and i have no issues. Just sayin...

Dunno why i'm being argued with about it. I also never said the k-series transmission was badass, just that this is not representative of all of them.

Just because you chewed up a final drive gear doing it wrong, doesn't mean other people will.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
That money could have spent to some good cams or a K24. :) If I was new to a track, I wouldn't run the car hard at all but just see where I'm getting grip.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I myself blew my clutch last week. I already replaced it with a new clutch flywheel.

Have got to pay to play. Thankfully I don't have to pay any labor costs.. (Oh, and I'm banned from the track I think. - Girlfriend.. /facepalm.. lol)

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how is your tranny now John, since you fixed it much better than stock?
Tranny is good now, we rebuit the whole thing. The stage4 clutch is nice, but kinda annoying in traffic. Flywheel is very helpful, but a pin in the ass too in traffic. Revs up pretty fast but drops pretty quick too. Overall I'm happy but annoyed when it's traffic. Most people thinks that I'm showing off most of the times, but that's just me trying to move my car from a complete stop. I think I need to buy another car for daily comute, I'm getting old for this.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts