8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Audi is set to become the first to build and sell a diesel-powered supercar for the road with the unveiling of its R8 V12 TDi at the North American Auto Show in Detroit next week. The R8 will use the same 500bhp V12 turbodiesel that is used in the Q7 V12 TDi.

The R8 V12 TDi is being called a concept by Audi in an attempt to keep its plans shrouded in some mystery, but company insiders say the diesel R8 will be on sale sooner rather than later if public reaction is positive. With a predicted 0-100 km/h time of four seconds and a top speed estimated at 320km/h (200 mph), the R8 V12 TDi should have plenty of takers, even if Audi has not yet mentioned a figure for fuel economy.

The R8 V12 TDi follows on from Audi enormous success at Le Mans and in the ALMS endurance racing series with diesel-fuelled racing cars. The R8 will use a twin-turbo 6.0-litre V12 turbodiesel that produces 500bhp and 738lb.ft of torque. This will drive through a sequential gearbox with paddle shift and the R8 V12 TDi will have quattro four-wheel drive.

As well as the R8 V12 TDi, Audi is also working on a V10-engined petrol version of the R8, which will have around 550bhp to be the ultimate version of the firm's supercar. No dates have been given for the V12 TDi or V10, but expect to see at least one of them on sale by the start of 2009.

Detroit 2008: Audi R8 V12 TDI video leaked! - Autoblog

Audi R8 V12 Diesel

Audi R10 Diesel LeMans racecar

Reactions: mattsbobo

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Sweet Find. I love Audi. My bro has an A3 (its f*ckin Sick) Turbo and gets better gas milage than our civics!

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Man, the only move I can really criticize Audi on is that they didn't bring the 3-door A3 over here. :(

Diesel R8 FTW!
I feel ya on this one. They should have brought the S3 Hatch instead of the R32 for VW.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I feel ya on this one. They should have brought the S3 Hatch instead of the R32 for VW.
I was actually geared up to wanting a C30 (a loooooooooooong time ago), but my jaws dropped when I heard they were bringing the A3 here. I decided to wait. Then wait some more, hoping they'd bring the 3-door here...

...I've thus far been sadly disappointed. Even NOT in Sx trim, it'd kick major butt to have the 3-door here.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
I was actually geared up to wanting a C30 (a loooooooooooong time ago), but my jaws dropped when I heard they were bringing the A3 here. I decided to wait. Then wait some more, hoping they'd bring the 3-door here...

...I've thus far been sadly disappointed. Even NOT in Sx trim, it'd kick major butt to have the 3-door here.
I think Audi will wise up and recognize that those type of 3dr cars are in demand here. I think they are just waiting to see how the ne R32 does.

The C30 is nice (audi is better) I dont like the rear of that car too much though.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I think I'm going to trade my Si in on one:laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.