8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had a D3 professionally installed that I bought off of a fellow member here on 8th and I have a couple of questions and concerns

I hear static when I change the volume and it beeps. To fix this, all I need to do is do the amp bypass, correct?

My biggest peeve of all:
My navi unit is complete CRAP. It tells me to take wrong turns, makes me do a bunch of detours that I shouldn't be making. It tells me to take an exit that I already passed up about half a mile behind me BUT I shouldn't even be making that exit. I should continue going on the freeway but it tells me to exit...WHY?

The whole reason of having navi is that it's suppose to guide you to your destination but my D3 is failing me HORRIBLY. Is it just this specific unit???

Also, is there a way to have the arrow pointing forward at all times? If I'm going straight, I want the arrow to be straight as well on the map. If I'm making a right turn, I want the map to rotate 90 degrees. On my navi, if I make a right turn, the map stays exactly the same but the arrow changes position. I find this very annoying because I keep having to guess whether or not it's a left turn or a right turn that I need to make because I have to look at it upside down sometimes. UGH, what's going on??? :xyxnervou

The only positive thing I can say about the D3 is that it makes the stock system sound so much better

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you would've done your research before buying the D3 you'd know that its one of the older navigational units.....many reviews state your exact problem. It's not known for its navi but its other options at an inexpensive price rather....such as sound quality as you listed.....as well as bluetooth....user friendly ipod interface...satillite radio hook-up etc....

i'd say yes...it is a problem with that specific unit....the newer units with built in hard drives most likely have more direct and precise directions considering its not guided by a preloaded disk that cannot be updated.

sorry to hear your having such problems with this unit....i'm still considering purchasing it....I dont really need the navi so that negative aspect wont bother me

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wtf, are you kidding me? What kind of piece of crap navi is delayed? I'm talking about 0.5 mile delays. It tells me to take an exit that I passed already

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find it hard to believe that the navigation is that delayed. Hell, even a $100 tom tom does a better job than this. I took my car out someplace last night and entered an address in the navi.

Instead of getting to the location easily, I got completely lost for 10 minutes trying to find a freeway to get home...what the hell? Do you see the irony in this? Getting lost with a navi??? :chill:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Refund will only be made if the NAV is defected.
I'm watching this thread closely. I'm considering buying a D3 for myself.
But if the NAV is so FUC*** up, I'll buy something else.
Could other D3 owners please confirm this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
i have a d3 and i do get these problems too. its weird, cause i put in the address to my work and its off by .5mi. but i use it on a 3 1/2hr road trip and it gets me there no problem. i think it all has to do with your location. i have taken many wrong turns with this device and it was caused me a great deal of frustration. but with all of the bonuses with this h/u, makes up for it. it is still a great deal at $1000 and i know you got yours for less on here. im sure next year pioneer will have updated nav. disks that we can purchase or whatnot. ima spring for those bad boys. good luck bro.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
For your map problem your nav is set to display north up on the map, so when you turn the arrow turns and not the map. To change this just touch the icon on the map that looks like a compas needle (upper right of my Z2)

Did the installer hook up the VSS wire correctly? How is the GPS signal? If either are not working properly then you will have poor routing and vehicle position on the map. The biggest being poor GPS signal. I had my antenna mounted in a crappy position at first and the map would get way off when driving in wooded areas or around tall buildings. My Z2 has a status screen that can show the status on both of these, the D3 probrably does too.

There are complaints of poor routing on the Z2 (no idea on D3), but it's mainly wrong turns or taking you 5 miles out fo the way on what should be a 15 mile trip. It definately sounds like something is wrong with your setup, no nav unit should be 1/2 mile behind.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
^^ yeah it may be your install. My D3 is on point with navi and sound. Just having the D3 in there made my factory speakers sound way better. With Nav. , I've driven from Arizona to Kentucky and back and it was stellar.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
oh nuts, i forgot to say...my friend that works with me just got a tomtom, and his says that our work is .5mi off. so it might not just be the d3 or pioneers fault on some of the mistakes.

·
Registered
562 Posts
to the op
all the stuff you mention about your D3, i dont have any of those problems. i love the D3and when i make a right/left turn the screen rotates itself. iono why yours is having so many problem. I cannot say one thing i dont like about the D3 except for the 6.1" screen but i got use to that as well.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
oh nuts, i forgot to say...my friend that works with me just got a tomtom, and his says that our work is .5mi off. so it might not just be the d3 or pioneers fault on some of the mistakes.
Destinations aren't always exact on any navigation system. Don't gauge inaccuracy by where it tells you where your destination is but more so of when it's telling you to take turns and exits. If you are driving on the highway and it's telling you to take an exit and shows your car exiting the freeway already when the exit is 1/4 mile ahead then that's a problem.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
OP, did you calibrate the Navi? I've heard that people experienec the exact same navi problems as you do because they haevn't calibrated it yet.

Also, a $100 tomtom can't be compared to the avic. There's a reason why you can get one brand new in the $400s right now. It's a cheap unit. I wasn't going to get it unless I could get it in the $300s, but the seller lied to me. A unit that isn't perfect (which a navi has to be) isn't worth $400+ to me.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have a D3 and love everything about it.. If you don't mind swapping from the NAV DVD to a CD or DVD you will love it after the bypass... I would buy it again 5x over. (Planning on buying one for wifey's car too...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
go to settings>hardware info> calibration..then clear all the values and drive around. it will relearn all the distances and turns over a few miles.

mine was like that too, I was all pissed...just recalibrate it and wala. I'm loving the D3.

·
Registered
823 Posts
i have the same model and my only complaint is that the navi DVD has to be in to use the navigation its fairly good with directions as long as the adress is correct

1 - 20 of 27 Posts