8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '08 Civic sedan with approximately 95k miles on it. Just got it recently from an older gentleman that purchased it new and always had the service done at the dealership.

I am wanting to do some PM and was going to change out the ATF and inline filter.

I was curious if anyone has ever tried using Dexron VI instead of the Z-1 or the newer DW-1?

The main reason I ask is because I have quite a bit left from doing a transmission service on my Suburban and if its compatible I would just as soon use that as it is full synthetic.

I saw something while reading about ATF that lead me to believe that it may be compatible. I can't remember exactly where but I was reading that one of the big name companies listed Dexron III on the same bottle with Z-1... and I know that Dexron VI is a replacement/upgrade for Dexron III.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only use the OEM Honda specified fluid.
Honda trannys are very particular about what fluid is inside of them to shift properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I've never heard or seen anyone here use Dexron. The Z1 is long discontinued. Just go with DW ATF, you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I may be the first one to try it... lol

What gave me the idea was when I was looking at parts on Rock Auto and I clicked on the transmission fluid tab it brought up Dex 6 as being compatible. So that got me to thinking.

RA also shows a friction modifier that says you can add it to any CONVENTIONAL Dexron fluid and make it compatible with Z-1.

The info on there site says...

"ATP AT-203 Friction Modifier is a full synthetic ATF additive that converts conventional Dex/Merc ATF to a highly friction modified fluid. The additive blends with ATF, offering instant results with no soak-in period and provides compatibility with HFM applications such as Chrysler ATF +3/+4, Honda Z1, Toyota Type T, Mitsubishi Diamond & Nissanmatic. It also incorporates synthetic base stocks, increasing lubrication and heat resistance properties to conventional ATF. Perfect for treating bulk purchased Dex/Merc, eliminates the need for more expensive / hard to find OEM fluids.
Features & Benefits:
  • Instantly blends with fluids to convert Dex / Merc ATF to a highly friction modified fluid
  • Provides compatibility with Chrysler ATF +3/+4, Honda Z1, Toyota Type T, Mitsubishi Diamond & Nissanmatic
  • Incorporates synthetics to improve transmission performance, reduce heat and wear"
Dex 6 is full synthetic and backwards compatible with Dex 3 so I'm pretty sure it would work even without the modifier.

Either way, I'm not quite ready to do this so, I welcome hearing more feedback from the community.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Stick with Honda fluid. I hate spending money as much as anyone but I wouldn't use non-Honda fluid. $20-25 for Honda fluid every couple years isn't going to kill you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Money isn't the reason for my question.

I simply thought/think the synthetic Dex 6 is a superior fluid to the Z-1/DW-1 and was hoping someone had access to actual specs for the fluids in question.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
Money isn't the reason for my question.

I simply thought/think the synthetic Dex 6 is a superior fluid to the Z-1/DW-1 and was hoping someone had access to actual specs for the fluids in question.
Many of the people who had used non-honda fluids, their trannies would give out sooner.
I've had 2 ATF changes at 90K and 180K. Both times I used honda ATF.
Car now has 217K miles and it still shifts smooth.

Don't roll the dice with Honda automatic transmissions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any one know the ATF fluid capacity off the top of their head???

I'm talking about complete fluid exchange all at one time... not doing the 2.5 quarts out 2.5 quarts in drive and repeat method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts