8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this morning I'm sitting here on my first 2 consecutive days off in months, and I'm watching cnn (i know boring life) but they said something that kinda made me wonder. What do YOU PEOPLE :laughing: think about military personnel? There's a lady on here saying we make too much money?!? I'm an E-5 in the Army, you can look up my pay grade online and see home much I don't make, but do people think we're millionaires or something?

So let's open up the forum. There's plenty of military people here, and plenty of newbies, some that probably have questions for us maybe out of curiousity, or are afraid to ask a recruiter. So ask us! outside of atruhonda girl, SGT Pruitt, and ImtheVoiceofGod, the rest of us don't bite.

So let's hear it...:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
E-4 in the Air Force-- Almost E-5

I like my pay I make enough for rent, and the car and about 1200 left over a month =)

·
Registered
542 Posts
BubzSI said:

I like my pay I make enough for rent, and the car and about 1200 left over a month =)
You must be single ha.

E-4's base pay = 1978 a month + bah + bas - taxes, somewhere about $1300
2x a month. I guess if you have an apartment with all bills payed you can make a little bank.

I have a house payment, + utilities, insurance, cell, car. Really you don't make a lot in the military.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BubzSI said:

see the army is different. The base pay for an E-4 is 1800 but remember the army doesn't get BAH unless your married/have children. So if you live off post on your own, after taxes you make 1600- ave. 700 for rent - ave 300 for car payment - at minumum 100 a month for gas = 500 left over for play/food/ and car mods. and you don't really make 1600 after taxes. that's the high side.

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
I think military personnel are great. I think it is awesome that someone would sign up for that. I support everything you do (while I dont agree with the people sending you). The only problem I have, being that I work at a car dealership, is that everyone who comes in uses the military card all the time.... Common...im in the military, you cant offer me a lower APR? Better number on my trade? Price on the car? Free Floormats? Carwashes? I am serving my country......so you dont have too. Give it a rest. There is nothing the public or the Govt. could do to compensate you well enough (or teachers) but keep a little of that pride they pound into you in the military when your in public. Its just like playing the "race card" or the "gender card" or the "handicap card".....

Not saying you do....just many do.

Also, why are you guys so quick to get into fights with civilians??? Its insane, these guys who think they are tough at the bars start **** with military guys and you take the bait like a Mouse and just start brawling.....why dont they just whore them and embarass then infront of everyone instead of looking like a bunch of easy to bait meatheads just like the morons who just started stuff with you guys??

·
Registered
500 Posts
but different branches have different stipulations about BAH. Like I'm in Army barracks right now and I'm the same rank as some of my Navy counterparts I work with and they automatically give to live off post cause our barracks don't meet there standard plus if they do live in the barracks they get paid to do so. I think I joined the wrong service Army totally gets **** on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've only ever dated Navy men...

I think something is seriously wrong with me....

<.<

>.>

But seriously, you enlisted don't make as much as everybody thinks you do. I definitely know this first hand, there are several perks about being in the military, but they don't exactly throw wads of cash at you each month.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
personally i think you guys should get paid more than actors and musicians. ive seen so many fu$%ed up military vids online that arent even worth the money, i know its not about the money but i think you guys are worth more than that

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Cyprinid said:
I've only ever dated Navy men...

I think something is seriously wrong with me....

<.<

>.>

But seriously, you enlisted don't make as much as everybody thinks you do. I definitely know this first hand, there are several perks about being in the military, but they don't exactly throw wads of cash at you each month.

If there's something wrong with you, then there's something wrong with me. :iorun: I married Navy. :dancing: But I'm Navy too so you know how that goes.... 1 more month and I'm a regular Joe (ann) civilian/ weekend warrior. again.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no **** me too. I think the AF has the best of the best when it comes to technology. so does the navy seeing as how ya'll can live basically on a combination of a cruise liner/tank for MONTHS at a time. I don't know how ya'll do it.
have you ever been on a ship? what's it like?

·
Banned
133 Posts
I was AF for 13 years and once I got out...I found out exactly how much my pay was worth (net pay, that is). I was an E6. I had but one regret for about three years after getting out and that was only the pay and bennies, so hard to find anything that even touches all the military offers it's members.
Put it like this...I now make ~55k as a civil servant for the Army and my net pay is what I brought home as an E6 when I got out. They're killing me on insurance, retirement, like 1200 a month in deductions.
So now having been on both sides of the fence, if you're SINGLE in the military that's a damn awesome paycheck. Factor a family in to it and it's still a great paycheck. IMVHO, I don't really have any sympathy for the military people and families that speak out about their money troubles.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts