8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so its raining right now and ive been testing different ways to drive
such as heel toe and stuff
but ive never turned vsa off while driving only when im at the track..

so i was at the light and i thought hey what the heck why not just turn it off and drive only 2 mins away from home...

so i turn it off and it feels like im driving alot smoother...
maybe it was just for that little moment...

the way i usually drive is that i shift and ease off the clutch..
i tried just dropping it a few times and theres a little jerk or w.e
so i didnt liek the jerk thinking it would be bad on the car

so any input on you guys?

·
Registered
326 Posts
i've seen ppl talking about this but how do you turn off the VSA in our cars?
a friend of mine has a 07 CRV and it has a button to turn it on or off. was this not installed untill the 07 models?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I drive with it on all the time, but I don't drive in a way to set it off anyway. I only see the light come on when I pull off hard and chirp the tires.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
redsi06 said:
i've seen ppl talking about this but how do you turn off the VSA in our cars?
a friend of mine has a 07 CRV and it has a button to turn it on or off. was this not installed untill the 07 models?
that's correct. the '06 models do not have VSA.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i have a button that can turn this feature(if you wanna call it that) on and off
and i drive an 07 si sedan

so any input on this?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
IMO, it's there for a reason. The street is not a race track and safety for yourself and the others around you should be #1. VSA is a great safety feature so just keep it on and use it (especially in the rain like you said above). It could be the difference between life and death in case you ever started skidding out of control. I do turn mine off when I want to have some fun, but I always make sure I'm not putting anyone else's life in jeopardy before I start pushing my car.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tastycakes said:
Whats your question again? You mean daily driving or having fun driving w/ VSA?
the question was do you guys feel like you drive better with the vsa off???
and yea daily.... im not very concerned with turning it when i want to have fun... if you read my post in the race section.... ive had enough fun with turning it off

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60854

tehcodeman said:
IMO, it's there for a reason. The street is not a race track and safety for yourself and the others around you should be #1. VSA is a great safety feature so just keep it on and use it (especially in the rain like you said above). It could be the difference between life and death in case you ever started skidding out of control. I do turn mine off when I want to have some fun, but I always make sure I'm not putting anyone else's life in jeopardy before I start pushing my car.

i understand that the street isnt a track, but that wasnt the question
but thanks for the input maybe it will help stop others that do

nayilsi said:
i feel so happy to see the VSA light go off....when im cornering in a puddle of water.
lol you wont be happy when that puddle kills your engine

sorry if i sould rude in this post... im about to go back out to my friends house and i want to hear everyones opinion before i leave

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
oops, sorry bro. Just read your race section thread and now I feel like I was preaching to the choir. I think I misunderstood your question. yeah, I do like driving it better when VSA is off. I don't know about everyone else but when I chirp 2nd gear (and sometimes 3rd), VSA kicks in, and the ECU will reduce power to the engine and that frustrates the hell outta me!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its cool
just very interested in everyones input on this question
but yea ive only chirped thrid once...
but i dont like how when i drive regularly with vsa on and i want to save my clutch as much as possible and just drop the clutch and theres this jerk...
but today i did the same thing with vas off and there was no jerk...
i have to save clutch and tranny as long as possible...

ohh and jerk only happens when i drop from first to second and second to third. fourth is perfect...

lol and yea vsa pisses me off too when im at the track and i forget to turn it off and and the other guy is pulling on me like crazy lol...

Tastycakes said:
Daily i leave it on unless i want to whip a turn. You never know when a deer or something will run out and you have to cut the wheel and hope the car doesn't slide.

Also keep in mind VSA does nothing until you start to lose control or spin the tires.

icic well theres this highway still being built so im going to test my theory out on that and get back to everyone

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'd assume it's smoother because VSA isn't using the brakes, making the car itself smoother to drive. I don't have it, so I can't speculate further than that.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
k20z3_pwr said:
I turn VSA off launched at about 4k and brook lose and kept on spinnin
im sorry k20z3 but i wasnt asking about how to launch
launching doesnt have anything to do with how i drive daily
that wasnt the question

ley said:
The only time VSA affects your driving is when it activates. Other than that, its practically off.

this doesnt make sense to me.... it only affect my driving when its active? but other than that its practically off???...

you mean its only on when im driving other than that its off???....

cause what i said and what you said are like two totally different things

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
what ley said is correct. think of your ABS (anti-lock braking system). Is it always in effect? No, only when it is needed. The same thing for LSD and VSA.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
another thing I forgot to mention earlier...and I may be wrong about this but.....I think it's better to feather between the accelerator and clutch when shifting instead of dropping the clutch. I know your goal is to make your transmission last as long as possible but your defeating the purpose by dropping the clutch on lower gears. Doing this can also cause strain on the chassis and motor mounts. But you're right about fourth gear and higher....dropping the clutch isn't noticeable and doesn't really make a difference IMO. just some tips I think might help you out.

Plus your passenger will thank you for it! :)

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I have an 06 so no vsa. I do however have an 06 Pilot with vsa, and even though it does assist with stability, I do not like the way it makes the vehicle feel when it activates. I actually feel like I have less control of the car. It may just be a "feeling", but it is unnerving non-the-less.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts