8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read on the forums that people dont recommend CAI because of the bad things that they can do to the engine. but really how bad can it possibly get? cuz im really interested in getting a CAI for my r18

·
Registered
494 Posts
i have read on the forums that people dont recommend CAI because of the bad things that they can do to the engine. but really how bad can it possibly get? cuz im really interested in getting a CAI for my r18
There have been a number of reports of CAI systems injesting water and causing a (fatal) hydro-lock condition in the engine. Personally, I'd pass on a CAI system, but that of course is personal choice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a bit of gain
SRI are ~8ish hp?
CAI are usually ~12
It really depends on where you live.
If there are large standing pools of water deep enough to reach the air filter of your planned CAI, go for a SRI but otherwise a CAI is fine.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
There is a bit of gain
SRI are ~8ish hp?
CAI are usually ~12
It really depends on where you live.
If there are large standing pools of water deep enough to reach the air filter of your planned CAI, go for a SRI but otherwise a CAI is fine.

complete bs. on a dyno maybe... but in the real world once the car is moving air is circulating through the engine bay releaseing cold air over the filter. this can't be measured on a dyno since the car doesnt move. but a cai vs a sri are basically the same peformance once the car is moving. excpet a short ram has way better throttle response because of the shorter tubeing.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
complete bs. on a dyno maybe... but in the real world once the car is moving air is circulating through the engine bay releaseing cold air over the filter. this can't be measured on a dyno since the car doesnt move. but a cai vs a sri are basically the same peformance once the car is moving. excpet a short ram has way better throttle response because of the shorter tubeing.
Not true, dynos use hugh fans to simulate the moving air.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
the fants don't simulate what the cars really seeing at 50mph. sorry. i know what a dyno does. cai MAY produce slightly highre peak numbers. but there is little difference in power between the 2 and the sri has better throttle response so its really personal prefernce.

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
Not true, dynos use hugh fans to simulate the moving air.

And most dynos are done with the hood open, thus why I feel SRi dynos have an unfair advantage over s CAI and in my opinion obatin higher numbers than they would on the street.

Whether the fans of SRi want to believe it or not under hood air temps WILL be higher than air temps from the fender well.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
And most dynos are done with the hood open, thus why I feel SRi dynos have an unfair advantage over s CAI and in my opinion obatin higher numbers than they would on the street.

Whether the fans of SRi want to believe it or not under hood air temps WILL be higher than air temps from the fender well.
True, but both CAIs and SRIs have there advantages and disadvantages. I would rather have a little heatsoak then a hydrolocked engine.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
True, but you do have to admit if you use an aftermarket intake you have no chance to survive, and should probably make your time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.