8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got that notice in the mail about getting the air bag replaced.
I have not set up an appointment yet, but I am wondering if the airbag will definitely explode if I get in a crash or if there is "a chance".
I normally do not have passengers anyways but sometimes my room mate rides with me to go places.

If it takes a while before they can get me in, should I just disable the passenger airbag for the time being? If so, what is the best way to go about that?

One other thing - It looks like Takata airbags are defective. Surely they cannot all be messed up, plus how would millions of them make their way to the roads before it was discovered that there is a problem?

·
Registered
924 Posts
There is a very small chance it will deploy improperly. Schedule the appointment but don't worry about it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a very small chance it will deploy improperly. Schedule the appointment but don't worry about it.
After a bit of investigation, that seems the case.
However, to look at this letter and hearing media stuff about it, one would think there would be an 80% chance of it exploding.

I think in reality, more people are killed by lightning. But yeah, free repair so why not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In the remote possibility that the airbags do deploy, there is a big chance metal fragments would travel toward you or your friend. Get it done ASAP. Replacement is free. Imagine metal shrapnel striking your face at 200 miles per hour milliseconds after you got into a wreck.

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
I would NEVER unplug an airbag only b/c there is a "chance" of improper inflation. If it bugs you that much, have your passengers set the seat back further, sit in the back seat or try not to have passengers ride with you. Another thing to consider: WHAT IF you get into a bad accident and it (most likely) explodes properly, thus saving your passengers life. I haven't seen language that says DO NOT DRIVE your car. Anyway, like others have said, it is a free fix so do it, don't dwell on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem as understand it is that, after years in very humid environments, the propellant becomes unstable and may explode at any time (not just in a frontal colllision). My car was recalled three times for the passenger air bag. First, for the problem that I just described. Second, because the propellant in the replacement air bag was the same as that in the original air bag. And third, to inspect the installation of the second air bag because it may have been installed improperly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts