8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, huge dilemma here... in January, I got ticketed for my window tints that were too dark and for my exhaust. I have an Apexi WS2, (no header, no intake) which is one of the quietest aftermarket exhausts out there, I've been looking at videos, launches, drive bys, idling, I hear a slightly deeper tone, not a louder one.

I used to drive by cops all the time and have no problems (when I had no tints, but, with the catback on) never got pulled over once, and I don't speed in while driving in the city.

In 4 days, my car is going to the dealership to get the 3rd gear fixed, while at the dealership, I can get my stock exhaust installed for free while they are working on the car.

Now everytime I drive by a cop, I go paranoid, pop the clutch, or drive by them in neutral or at 2k rpm.

I'm wondering if I just got a freakin crazy cop who just wanted to ticket my a$$ cause he was on a slow day and didn't meet his quota or if my exhaust really is too loud...

I know an Si by default is louder than an R18 equipped civic... Would you guys rip the exhaust off and sell it or would you wait and see if you'd get ticketed again? (cause the ticket is just a fine, not a "fix-it" ticket.)

Has anyone else been pulled over with a WS2?

Thanks for your responses!

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
I can't believe you got a exhaust ticket with the WS2. I have a Fujita SRI, Strup Race Header, and a Apexi WS2 and have not really had any trouble from cops. I got followed by one for about 3 miles the other day. The cop ended up just turning around and driving away.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
first off there is no "quota." second, he was just giving u *** cuz he could.

i was in the same situation: except i got pulled for speeding, i also got a fix it ticket for my tinted windows. the CHP also asked me to turn on my car and rev so she could hear my exhaust, luckily i had just purchased the ws2 a week prior to being pulled over and she let me go with the exhaust. had i gotten pulled over with my other exhaust (BC: pro sport) i surely would've gotten a ticket for that as well.

i have had many cops tail me since (obviously i have ws2), and nothing. if they ask u just tell them its the stock exhaust and u just polished it lol

but ya, keep the exhaust:thumb:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first off there is no "quota." second, he was just giving u *** cuz he could.
In Montreal, there is a quota they need to meet, ticketing is a main source of revenue for the police service, my uncle is a retierd cop, hated doing the job, his captain would give him *** when he wasnt ticketing enough... so in any given day when the traffic patrol is out, yes, their main job is to issue fines.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
keep the exhaust on and just paint the canister part black. this makes it look hella oem. then if anyone says anything to you act like a dummy and say "sorry officer that muffler was on the car when i bought it, i think it is a honda muffler off of a CR-V" and you are set.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts
Just be happy..

I got 3tickets last night, 1 for my 3inch catback, and tints, and another ticket for something else. In the end, just be happy you got 1 ticket, cause im here trying to keep my head up from the wallet rape that im gonna be going through.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just be happy..

I got 3tickets last night, 1 for my 3inch catback, and tints, and another ticket for something else. In the end, just be happy you got 1 ticket, cause im here trying to keep my head up from the wallet rape that im gonna be going through.
How's the wallet dammage in Florida?

My tints "checkup" cost me 45 bucks (had to remove my tints in the front before going).

And the exhaust fine was 154$.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I'm generalizing a bit, but cops in Quebec must have a serious motive against cars with aftermarket exhausts. Gatineau, Quebec is just across the river here in Ottawa and it's been pretty notorious for cars to get tickets for aftermarket exhausts there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm generalizing a bit, but cops in Quebec must have a serious motive against cars with aftermarket exhausts. Gatineau, Quebec is just across the river here in Ottawa and it's been pretty notorious for cars to get tickets for aftermarket exhausts there.
I agree, whenever they see a young guy with a Honda that "looks" modded, they generally pull you over. I get dirty looks from cops when I wear my baseball cap on the weekends (hell i'm almost 30). But during the week when I use my car to go to work (suit and tie), I get a quick look, and they seem to make nothing of it.

People with modded cars that are everything but Hondas do not tend to get pulled over, even if they are noisy as heck. Such as very middle aged men with modded mustang GT's ( I actually know one). Harley Davidson riders that have aftermarket exhausts, etc... I think I'm gonna grow a beard and see what happens.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't see why people don't just fight these unjustified tickets. I know I would. At least in the US, most aftermarket exhausts are 100% street legal in terms of emissions compliance and noise compliance. A'PEX's website states the following regarding all of their exhausts on their website: "Sound levels are tested on stock vehicles before the product release to ensure compliance with the 95dB limit."

Unless you have something else to hide, the next time a cop pulls you over tell him/her to prove that your exhaust is illegal by measuring the sound level on the spot. If I were you, I'd be preparing to take my case to court. If we don't put up a fight, cops are going to continue to shamelessly write tickets for legal bolt-ons.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don't see why people don't just fight these unjustified tickets. I know I would. At least in the US, most aftermarket exhausts are 100% street legal in terms of emissions compliance and noise compliance. A'PEX's website states the following regarding all of their exhausts on their website: "Sound levels are tested on stock vehicles before the product release to ensure compliance with the 95dB limit."

Unless you have something else to hide, the next time a cop pulls you over tell him/her to prove that your exhaust is illegal by measuring the sound level on the spot. If I were you, I'd be preparing to take my case to court. If we don't put up a fight, cops are going to continue to shamelessly write tickets for legal bolt-ons.
it was my intent to do so as well, but paying for the fine was a better alternative for me than losing a day of work to go to court. In my area, the law says that you can't have an exhaust louder than stock and must retain the properties of the OE that came with the car, present no leaks or punctures and be correctly installed on the vehicle (no dangly mufflers).

Cops arent able to do sound testing and they don't have anything to compare what a stock si DB rating is.

So what they do is, measure the size of the tip (ridiculous) and they try to jam a tape measure inside the muffler, see how far it goes(I tested myself and my stock Si muffler gave me the same result, the tape goes in 18 inches before hitting the end of the canister), insert a metal rod, see if there is any baffling and they write that down in their report (which is also irrelevant as a lot of cars have no baffling in their outlet tubes... the Srt-4 and the Protege Mazdaspeed are examples).

If the law says that my car can't emit more than 95db, then i'm home free. But then again, the cop didn't measure and they are not equipped to do so. I know I can fight it, but now it's too late, I will if I get pulled over a second time... i'm just wondering if I should take the risk and I wanted to find out if any other fellow 8th gen owners got hassled by "the man" for having an apex'i ws2 on their rides.

By the way I don't have anything to hide, the only mod my car has is the catback, every other engine component (including intake and header) is OEM.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.