8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my gf and a couple friends and me were all on our way to Olive Garden for some eats. We hop in the Si and go to leave my friend's apartment. Get to the gate and the exit side is open, so I proceed through slowly (tiny bump where the gate track is). As I'm about 3/4 of the way through, I hear a nice thud on the side of my car followed by some nice scratching noises. I pull through and get out and the ******* gate closed on my side skirt and rear fender. This is a sliding gate and not a swing gate btw. Apparently, it was acting up or something because it was just randomly opening and closing on it's own with no traffic after it owned me. Scratches are very obvious. This was at about 8:00 PM so no one was around the apartments to talk to. Going to go back tomorrow to get some money out of this. Thoughts? Here's a quick MS Paint of where I got hit.

EDIT: Updated with pics:

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
my thoughts are....

nice painting.....

the apt gate played really well...and deserved the win.

sorry to hear that man....things u can never avoid.

def talk to the apt people...theyl probably act like jerks.
keep ur insurance handy.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I'd like to think that the apartment gate was actually trying to do you a favor by stopping you from going to Olive Garden. You should buy it a little gift for its consideration... :laughing:

Apartment complexes are insured against this type of thing. They'll pay up for the damages, but they may require you to jump through some hoops, like getting multiple estimates or making you use certain body shops. Just be reasonable and the situation should resolve itself. Sorry bout your car, that's a nice color... hate to see it ruined.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I'm hoping there won't be too much run around, but I'm expecting it. Will update with real pics soon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No offense meant but...

You were going IN through the EXIT? If so, no matter what, you're at a minimum partially responsible. It's going to be kind of obvious if you go in saying that the gate screwed up when you went through it that you were not going through it correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if they denied any responsibility whatsoever. Good luck with it but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's an idea, don't go in through the exit on a timed gate. Problem solved.You shouldn't get any money from the apt. complex for being dumb.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Wait I'm confused.. are the other posters right in that you went IN through the exit? If that's the case, then that is 100% your fault. I don't think the timers really take into consideration people coming in the wrong way.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I hate those gates, I was at a storage locker place putting some **** away and they had one, except this one would rise up into the air and then collapse down like a ******* ginsu knife. Scared the hell out of me everytime I went through it...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
ibanez37 said:
So, my gf and a couple friends and me were all on our way to Olive Garden for some eats. We hop in the Si and go to leave my friend's apartment. Get to the gate and the exit side is open, so I proceed through slowly (tiny bump where the gate track is). As I'm about 3/4 of the way through, I hear a nice thud on the side of my car followed by some nice scratching noises. I pull through and get out and the ******* gate closed on my side skirt and rear fender. This is a sliding gate and not a swing gate btw. Apparently, it was acting up or something because it was just randomly opening and closing on it's own with no traffic after it owned me. Scratches are very obvious. This was at about 8:00 PM so no one was around the apartments to talk to. Going to go back tomorrow to get some money out of this. Thoughts? Here's a quick MS Paint of where I got hit.

for all you people that don't know how to read, does this not clearly say that he was proceeding slowly into the exit because he was LEAVING his friend's apt. (hence, exiting the apt.) to go OUT to eat?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I wouldn't get your own insurance involved until you find out if your apartment will pay for it. If your apartment will pay for it there is no reason to get your insurance involved.

I know that with my insurance if there is no other car involved and it's not a comprehensive claim (something falling off a truck on the highway, act of god, etc.) they have to process it as an at-fault claim (as if I was at fault) and my insurance could potentially go up. So unless there is no way to get your appartment to pay for it I would wait to tell your insurance.

·
myspace.com/assistant_ar
5,306 Posts
lol dude we have the same exact car and color but mine doesnt have HFP kit soon to have with in a month after i get it fix this weekend this

i post a thread what happend to my car(in the Si section), but its all good

sucks that happend to you def. make them pay for it, its not ooyour fault that they have a crappy gate

1 - 20 of 26 Posts