8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started last month. Not at Honda though, but Mini of Fairfield County in Stamford CT. After a month I have to say that I really enjoy it, especially the fact that I easily get 10+ hrs of OT/week. My position is the prep up guy, meaning I go on test drives, get cars ready for deliveries, go on swaps, and any other bs errand running that needs doing including making sure the show room and and cars are presentable. Might be bottom of the totem pole but I don't mind, I have to start somewhere, and IMO it beats another desk job even if it pays 50% more. I stay busy which is just the way I like it. However, I noticed that there is just so much BS going on that it blows my mind. Everybody who needs you expects you to be there at the drop of a hat regardless of what you are doing, even if its a higher priority than taking their customer on a test drive.

I dunno, I try to please everybody, multi-task, take everyone's needs into consideration, and prioritize based on what is most urgent, I even wont take a piss bc its busy and theres a customer waiting for a test drive. I still feel like everyone feels that what they need is number 1 and everything else is secondary. The communication between the management, sales, and service is mediocre at best, causing confusion and unnecessary stress for everyone. Is this something that goes on at all dealerships? Or just human nature under stress? If anyone can relate please chime in.

Cliffs: There is lots of BS but I still love my new job.

Peter

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
i think its the same everywhere im a runner at a honda dealer and ppl think at the drop of a hat u can just come running over

·
Registered
430 Posts
Im in the parts dept for a gm dealer and i still have to go on swaps and stuff. it sucks b/c it aint my job but it gets me out for awhile. its even better when i get to swap a vette :dance:

·
Registered
424 Posts
i reawlly want to work at a honda dealer. I got my training certificate to prove to dealers that I had some training. But from what I read online is that thats not good enough for dealers. So my question is, since I nver sold anything related to vehicles nor selling, how did you guys get the job from the beginning before you got the job, to where you got the job? Tips please. Im young and I need a good living career

·
Registered
310 Posts
I used to have that job before i got where i am now. It was exactly how you described. i hated it. i mean it was a cool job, but the lack of communication between everyone, and what they expected, totally blew.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'm an internet manager at Honda, I basically sit at a desk all day and watch youtube videos/search for parts/browse 8thcivic lol 16 hrs of OT every week as I'm there 56 hrs

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am a sales consultant for Ray Catena Mercedes-Benz / smart and we have a position called "Delivery Consultants". Their main task is to go over the vehicle with the customers so the sales consultants are not tied-up for an hour going over the entire car. However, the DCs here are asked to do literally everything. From doing the complete delivery (paperwork and all), to off-site deliveries, test drives, wipe down cars when our prep guys are tied-up, and even take certification tests for the whole dealership. You can also add putting on plates, bringing around lease returns and trade-ins, picking-up and dropping-off clients, bank and DMV runs, and a lot more.

They are very invaluable and I often take care of them if they do work for me that they don't have to. It's tough for them because I can see sometimes in their faces that they feel like they are not appreciated as much as they should be.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you work in stamford. People up here in the northeast are so damn needy.
Tell me about it, its a total opposite from when I lived in San Diego. I'm kind of glad to hear it not just me. Its nothing I can't deal with, I just wanted to ***** about it here because I wasn't at a bar with a beer in my hand. Thanks fellas, N.E.C. F.T.W.!!!:dancing:

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I can sort of relate. I work for a Rent a Car as a Car Prep. I gotta clean the cars for the next customer and i gotta pick up/drop off customers. When I have alot of cars to clean, I also wont pee.

Thats my story

·
Registered
723 Posts
Not as busy as last year but i think were picking up...ive only been doing this for a little over 2 years. i was a parts driver before and picked up on using the system. its just my friend and me in running this department. we have one stock guy and one driver. i average about 40k gross profit. idk how that compares to other counter guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts