8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where do you mount the gold prongs (grounds)? Unfortunately the video on custom lightz site for that step is down.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, at least that's what I think they are... the video that explains it is down, and I'm a n00b at this stuff. lol. They come out of the ballast plug.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Are they color coded red and black? Of course, black just goes to your ground (which again, I suggest using the battery). Barring the battery, take some sandpaper rub down a small section where a bolt will fit so the metal is bare, and use that.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the 2 gold prongs that come out of each ballast plug junction in the harness have red casings under the electrical tape. However, the 3rd of 3 wire-harness install videos begins with Bjorn saying to connect the o-ring (which is plain black) to the positive terminal!? so is black and red reversed? here's the vid: http://www.customlightz.com/installation/clip4.wmv

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
It may be reversed then, how odd. Easiest way to check polarity --

Just plug in the set-up, don't worry about hiding the stuff for now and connect the wires as he says. Fire up your headlights.

You've got to let me see what the wiring harness looks like spread out, I should be able to point out what goes where at that point. Too bad you're so far away. LOL. No contact on Bjorn's AIM or anything?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, just find some bolts and random holes and ground them that way? the gold plugs are not large enough to fit around the neg terminal anyway... but in principle, there needs to be a ground, right? and that's most likely what these are, right?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
brdhouse said:
So, just find some bolts and random holes and ground them that way? the gold plugs are not large enough to fit around the neg terminal anyway... but in principle, there needs to be a ground, right? and that's most likely what these are, right?
Yeah. IIRC, the negative terminal and positive terminal has a little nut and bolt that allows the terminal to stay on the battery. I just used those to connect to the battery. Works fine, since it's still exposed metal.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
striker_1818 said:
show me a picture.
Most likely each ballast has its own ground.
haha. that's what I was just doing.

These come out of each ballast plug junction, so there's 2:

this is what I believe to be the o-ring, mentioned in the video, already connected to the positive terminal:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
So, the wire with the O-ring connects the two ballasts to the positive, while that small prong comes out of the two ballasts? Ground.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Izzy said:
So, the wire with the O-ring connects the two ballasts to the positive, while that small prong comes out of the two ballasts? Ground.
That's how it seems to me.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just spoke with Bjorn and he told me where he usually mounts the grounding prongs... on each side (FG2), there are some large torx bolts that attach some frame pieces.

I will mount them and take a pic in case anyone has the same question down the road. Thanks to all for your help!

EDIT: Here are some pics of where to mount them:

the torx bolts:

driver's side location:

passenger side location:

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
ugh not 100% sure... i just used the diy it said that the car had those plugs build in already so i didnt use them

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The wiring harness is there to break the fuse in-line on the harness to blow instead of the OEM wiring harness. It's a preventative wiring system so you don't melt your original wiring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts