8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
My brother did way back in 92 when it was still Wyoming Technical Institute and it was still in Wyoming. He took the custom body and custom paint courses and I think the interior course as well but I'm not sure. He had MANNY job offers before he even got back home and then some jack ass pulled out in front of him on his bike and the resulting scoliosis kept him out of the field.

·
Registered
706 Posts
06civictx said:
wow thats not even long at all,i thought it was 18 months to finish a course,thanks for the info though

how long you're there depends on what courses you take. You don't have to take everything they offer.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I went to Wyo Tech in 2000 for Collision/Refinishing.

It was a decent experience. I went for 6 months (3 mo. collision/3 mo. refinishing) it's about 8 hours a day.
It's very hands on, which is really cool. We did quite a bit of painting (junk yard cars), I liked that part. There are alot of people with similar interests. Colorado is about an hour away, went to a kick ass auto show there, and the Denver mall a few times. Fort Collins is cool little town. I actually wanted to stay out there (Wyo tech) but my parents couldn't afford any more.

Some bad things...it's expensive, $12,000 for 6 months. Not many girls attend the school. Also, you have to shave everyday.

If I had to do it over again, I definetely would look into a regular college that offers an automotive course. It would be cheaper, closer to home, and there would be chicks, haha.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^wow that really sux,shaving everyday?the cost is a little better than uti though,i might as well just go to a college instead lol,one question,did they help you find a job after graduation?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I didn't ask for help so they didn't assist me in finding a job. I actually went back to the job I had before I left for Wyo Tech, which isn't that bad I guess.

Having a degree from wyo tech doesn't mean much to employers around here (in my opinion), they just want 2 years experience.

As for shaving, a couple of times, the teachers walked around at the very beginning of class and looked from a foot away to see if you shaved that morning. I (and some other people) was told to shave during lunch once because they new I shaved the night before, they check when you come back after lunch too, and your sent home if you didn't shave during lunch. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me...I guess that's what they think the "real" world is looking for.

I don't want to discourage you from going, sometimes I just think I should have taken a different path, but maybe I wouldn't have liked going to a regular college either.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Bootsie said:
What does shaving have to do with the real world? What does shaving have to do with automotive technology?
And that right there is why so many younger people ***** about not being able to find a decent job. Your appearance will make a difference in your employability. Having tattoos makes a difference in your employability. Piercings makes a difference in your employability. The ability to comb your hair affects your employability. Your attitude affects your employability. If you think it doesn't you are sadly mistaken. Being the most qualified does NOT make you the most employable.

·
Registered
928 Posts
quality_sound said:
And that right there is why so many younger people ***** about not being able to find a decent job. Your appearance will make a difference in your employability. Having tattoos makes a difference in your employability. Piercings makes a difference in your employability. The ability to comb your hair affects your employability. Your attitude affects your employability. If you think it doesn't you are sadly mistaken. Being the most qualified does NOT make you the most employable.
I know, I have just never heard of a school like that. It sounds to me like they are a little extreme. I do agree with you though. Calm down a little, it was just a question. :chill:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
quality_sound said:
This is 100% bullshit. I'm calling it. This is whats wrong with the world today, you can't look past someone's apperance. What about their real world skills? Can they actually perform the job? :eek:mg:

·
Registered
619 Posts
oh man this is way off topic now lol.

But ya, rmfa...that's EXACTLY what I was thinking.
I guess I feel that people CAN look respectable with tattoo's, earings, facial hair etc.

The school can't individual people out and say, "Hey you, you look like a scumbag, go do something about it and comeback". So they do what is the next best thing in their mind...require you to shave that morning, make sure your shirt is tucked in, no long hair etc.
I think some kids need that kind of guidance, it's good for them, sort of like the military.

·
Registered
706 Posts
rmfa said:
This is 100% bullshit. I'm calling it. This is whats wrong with the world today, you can't look past someone's apperance. What about their real world skills? Can they actually perform the job? :eek:mg:
Who cares if you can perform the job if you don't make it past the interview? I never said I can't get past someone's appearance, I'm letting people that think appearance doesn't matter know that it does, in fact, matter a lot more than you think. I'm not exactly a spring chicken so I have a fair idea how the "real world" works and my mother has been in human resources for a couple of decades now. I think I'll take my life experience and her job experience over what you "think."

·
Registered
706 Posts
Tommygun43 said:
oh man this is way off topic now lol.

But ya, rmfa...that's EXACTLY what I was thinking.
I guess I feel that people CAN look respectable with tattoo's, earings, facial hair etc.
I agree, I'm not against them at all. If that's how you want to express yourself more power to you. However, it's best to find out about a company's policy on those things before you show up to the interview sporting all that and then get all pissy when they don't hire you, wouldn't you agree?

The school can't individual people out and say, "Hey you, you look like a scumbag, go do something about it and comeback". [/quote]

Sure they can. It's their school, they can require whatever they want. Just like an employer can. It's l ife and people need to get used to that.

So they do what is the next best thing in their mind...require you to shave that morning, make sure your shirt is tucked in, no long hair etc.
I think some kids need that kind of guidance, it's good for them, sort of like the military.
I think most kids need a lesson on what is and is not desirable from an employers perspective. I think a lot of 18 year old kids woudl think twice about putting these big ass holes in their ears if they knew it could hurt them in the job market.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont mind shaving everyday,having a tucked in shirt,etc.,i just want to enroll in the one in long beach,ca so i could be closer to my hometown,but i will for sure think about this first before i register,so thanks everyone for your input

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
^^^That sounds like military school

1 - 20 of 24 Posts