8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its self explainatory. im looking for a hard drive to use primarily for my avic-d3. i know that some people on here have the archos hard drive. does anyone here use another brand and are there any pros and cons? thanks

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
i'm a fan of maxtor hard drives but not sure if thats what you mean

Reactions: TOMMIELOEKO

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea thats what im talking about, ive also been looking at seagate, simple tech, and western digital. i just dont know too much about portable hard drives. like speed, transfer rate, seek time. the number of gigs is kinda obvious. more gigs more memory. is there a brand better than another in quality?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Dont worry about all that^^

Just worry about space. If you want to use it as removable storage then it's going to be usb or firewire anyway right?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
You could make your own.

Order a laptop hdd and then get an external case.

Example:
HDD
Case

A good deal smaller than other external HDD's. I actually took a HDD out of a dead computer, ordered that case and have been using it as a "thumb drive" (though it's not that small, lol) for a few months. Works great when transferring large files. And I would imagine 60gb is plenty for what you're wanting to do.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
well a dvd is 4g usually. If you shrink it to mpeg4 or avi you could get 30-60 movies on 60GB

not sure what an avic d3 supports though.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Yea, you'll need one of those cases.

I see that the D3 supports Divx movies. These are about 600-700mb and would be the best way to go. The screen on the d3 is so small that you won't see a difference in the resolution anyway.

But, one thing... are you sure the d3 has USB support? I can't find any literature that says it does.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
seagate is the crap from the original xbox and i heard that western digital tends to overheat alot.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Go with seagate.

I have had 3 Maxtor drives die early on me. Now, all my comps have had seagates for years and they're all perfect.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, you'll need one of those cases.

I see that the D3 supports Divx movies. These are about 600-700mb and would be the best way to go. The screen on the d3 is so small that you won't see a difference in the resolution anyway.

But, one thing... are you sure the d3 has USB support? I can't find any literature that says it does.
what route would you suggest?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
If you can't find anything on the site in the link I edited in above lol. I would seriously recommend just getting an ipod video. It's plug and play with the d3. From what I just read the HD solution is going to take some weird workarounds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts