8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
I used it before and for me it worked wonders.

Full review ;)

First of all, I suck at painting! I tried the touch up paint so many times with different methods but I always f*ck things up.

When I used the Dr. Colorchip, I didn't have to worry about messing things up at all. It was so easy to do like 3 years old can do it.

Regarding the result, I have GGM color and the paint match perfectly. If the chips are not deep (more like rash) then this product is for you. If the chip is deep, then this product doesn't work so well because the paint that they give you is so thin.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Here's an example...

For above pic, the chip is deep. Dr.Colorchip will help blending the color so the chip will be less noticeable, but you will still see that the chip is there. For this kinda chip, you have to probably do like 5-10 layers of it to fill up the depth of the chip.

If your paint is more like...

then Dr.Colorchip will take care of it and your hood will look basically brand new again :thumb:

ps. Don't trust them about buying small package and it'll be enough for only a dozen chips, because you can do more like 200 chips for the smallest package.

ps. I would recommend to everybody who has road rash problem, people who hate touch up paint like me, and people who afraid to use sand paper to sand the paint down after touch up because for Dr.Colorchip you will need none of that.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
This looks pretty cool. Are there any other products like this out there? I'm thinking about giving this a shot.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
that red car looks far worse then a rock chip Looks like someone took a hammer to the car Daaaaayyyuuum

·
Registered
543 Posts
Similar product call Langka, but I have no experience using it.

I'll make it simple for everyone here.

Dr. Colorchip : Your chips will look 70 - 100% better than before. No way you can mess it up.

Touch up paint (and skillz) : 70 - 100% better than before. Great chance of you mess it up!

Again, personal experience on GGM Si. Don't know about any other color.

·
Registered
543 Posts
No, they mix their own paint. Seems like their paint is a lot thiner than OEM paint ( I guess they make it that way so that it can be removed easily.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
I too wondered about this product as I'm sure my car will have a lot of chips in the next few years. Thanks for the review!

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i have both - drcolorchip and langka.

drcolorchip is good but it's very thinned out. meaning, it'll take multiple coats, ample drying time in between to get a nice finish.

langka works well too. their wetsand clearcoat repair system is flawless. if you've got scratches in the clearcoat, this WILL fix it.

both products are 110% better than oem touch-up paint and a toothpick.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Here's the deal with Dr.ColorChip:

PROCEDURE: Dab paint into chip/scratch using the various supplied brushes, smear the paint with your finger (with supplied glove) to make the newly painted surface level with the original paint. Give it time to dry (longer is better for adhesion) then use the solvent to remove the excess touch up paint. Do not wax it for a few days (let it thoroughly cure).

PROS: The paint is a better color match than the OEM touch up paint and is a much thinner consistency! OEM touch up (ex. NHBP) lacks ANY metallic flakes and globs on even with the smallest applicator.

CONS: It's VERY difficult to remove the excess paint without taking out the paint inside the scratch chip. As you buff out the paint you see the smeared excess disappear and your chip return.

I tried a 3X3 section with road rash, dabbed the paint, smeared it with my glove and let it sit (4 hours @ 65 degrees). I buffed out the paint with the solvent (it took longer than usual) and the chips returned (BTW as a side note any cleaner wax can remove this paint).

RESULTS: road rash is still there but two scratches that were down to the primer are still there but now they're black (minimally filled in).

I'm going to give it another try, the scratches are annoying because if you buff "along the grain" of the scratch it takes out the paint... but so does buffing perpendicular and at an angle!

TIP: MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE ANY WAX/DIRT/RESIDUE TO THE AREA YOU WANT TO PAINT OR IT WON'T ADHERE.

This is basically the idea behind Langka except thinner touch up paint (instead of OEM molasses) and a watery pink solvent instead of Langka's white cream (that only works on fairly fresh paint).

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've got an NHBP FG2, and I bought it used, and the guy before me must not have cared about the paint on it at all. The front end is a disaster zone, full of scratches, knicks, pocks, and chips. When I wash it, the front bumper still looks dirty, it has that many scratches. Do you think this Dr. Colorchip would work wonders for me? The only other option that I am looking at is getting the entire front end repainted (Hood, bumper, left/right front fenders) and I don't have the money to get it done.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Siem, if you have time, patience, and just regular road rash (multiple small chips localized near the front or scratches -NOT gouges) then buy the smallest kit and try it out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
would this product work on a small ding/scratch on my passenger side door as well (i'm guessing from some a-hole's door or shopping cart)... cuz if i could just get one product to fix both the paint chips on the hood as well as the door i would go for that one..

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
It works well but a bit time consuming. And like others have said it works best on road rash not big scratches or gouges. The part that is time consuming is all the little chips here and there from road rash you have to sit there and dab it. In the end it works well If you guys wash your car wax it and still see that your front end looks dirty cause of all the little imperfections little chips then this product is for you. It will clean up road rash very very well. But because of the thin nature of the product it wont last like oem so its best to touch up every once inwhile.

·
Registered
114 Posts
bringing back this old thread i have a question...

ok so i have a galaxy gray metallic sedan ex...
i looked up the color there on their site and it gave me this NH-701M
well, the color next to it is a gray color...now i think i may be a bit colorblind because the sample color looks nothing like my car..but is that right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts