8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seen this come to shelf in Canada on the east coast. Looking for any insight. I have Castrol Syntec right now.

Is OEM oil filters better than FRAM?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just seen this come to shelf in Canada on the east coast. Looking for any insight. I have Castrol Syntec right now.

Castrol Edge is supposed to be a very good oil. I got a bunch of it on sale (I think I have about 20 quarts sitting in my basement) and will be using it shortly. From what I hear it is up there with M1 EP etc. It should be good for a 10k or so oil change interval. I would go OEM over Fram. Other good choices would be Wix, Purolator Pure One, M1 etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts

hi,
I am the tech manager for FRAM filters. To answer your question- yes and no. What does that mean? The FRAM filters (all models we sell) are all higher efficiency filters than the OE filter. the no part- We actually make the OE/OES blue filter that Honda sells. (look for the honeywell logo on the can) It does have less efficiency that our aftermarket filters, it also has a greater capacity to trap and hold dirt than most all after market filters except the FRAM extended guard. Why? Honda likes to recommend a 10,00 mile or one year oil change interval.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Castrol Edge is a very good oil but it's way overpriced in Canada. Walmart sells the 4.4L jugs for $49, compared to $45 for the bigger 5L jugs of all the other synthetics. And Castrol Edge never seems to go on sale, while many others do on a regular basis. In fact, right now at Canadian Tire they are selling Pennzoil Platinum for about $5.50 per liter, as well as Castrol Syntec.

As far as oil filters go, if you're going to go with Fram, I'd recommend their top of the line filter which is the Xtended Guard (AKA The Synthetic Oil Filter) They use a 2 ply media which is very efficient and the canister is a lot thicker than most other oil filters. It traps a lot more dirt than other filters too, so it's good for extended oil change intervals. Keep an eye on the Partsource flyers, as they put this filter on sale for $9.99 quite often.

·
Registered
972 Posts
castrol edge w/ k&n oil filter ftmfw!! (gotta love the convience of the "wrench type" filter of the k&n.
i use the same, if edge isnt available i just get castrol syntec with edge technology. i dont like mobil 1 stuff. royal purple is nice but pricey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts