8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i'm looking to trade in the Si for something a little bigger..

this is what i'm looking at:
cars.com: 2005 Jeep Wrangler X

and i test drove an 07 wrangler x today..

if there's any jeep owners, what do you think of it? and has it given you many problems?

i already did the carfax at work and its a clean title that had 2 TX owners

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I own two jeeps, but they are probably a bit 'older' than the range you are looking at:

• '89 XJ Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4
• '89 XJ Jeep Wagoneer 4X4

The Cherokee is my 'beater and untility truck. The Wagoneer is my 'project jeep'. Lifted, etc. Both have in the neighborhood of 250,000 miles on them and their venerable Inline 4.0L six engines just keep running. Other things have stopped working (auto door looks, some interior dummy lights, etc.), however.

I can't say much about the new Jeeps. I like the look of the new 4-door wrangler, and would not mind modifying one like the folks on "Xtreme 4X4" did theirs. One the other hand, Consumer Reports gave it one of their worst scores ever.

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts
I love them so much too...Nothing is better off road than a Jeep. My sisters Fiance has one and the things a rugged beast! Reliable and built to high standards they be...but they are also utilitarian which means they are spartan inside

·
Registered
42 Posts
My brother owns a jeep liberty (2003) he likes the car but his transmission went out after having it for a little more then a year. The liberty isn't much of an off road car but its a jeep. He ended up getting an envoy and likes it way more then the liberty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to own a jeep wrangler with a 3-inch rancho lift kit, k&n cone filter, gibson exhaust, locker, and headers. It was a 2001 "Jeep TJ Wrangler". The new models in 2008 are called "JK wranglers" and are the first ones to have big flexible fenders to flex when rubbing against rocks on the trail, and it doesn't take much lift to fit big tires. However they replaced the 4.0 liter inline 6 that was in the TJ wrangler from 2001 and put in a V6 with less torque but more high end horsepower.

I had an incredible time with the Jeep, even rolled it over once and it barely sustained any damage and entered a few short course competitions. Jeeps are jut as fun to me as an SI but in a different way.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Eeew yuck. The Cherokee is ok,the old one that is but the new Jeeps are just crap. They are built so poorly and the interiors are terrible. I saw a lifted wrangler today it looked pretty sick it was an 05 i think not bad.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I love them so much too...Nothing is better off road than a Jeep. My sisters Fiance has one and the things a rugged beast! Reliable and built to high standards they be...but they are also utilitarian which means they are spartan inside
When your top is down and it rains you will love the interior. Just pull the drain plugs.

I am also looking @ the new jeeps with hard top. Not the 4door though.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i've been looking at them a while now and i even considered one before the Si.. i'm looking early but it'll be another 6 months-year before i make any kind of move towards it probably.. i've talk to a few owners locally here and they say stay away from the 4 cylinder because the transmission is awful but that the 4L 6cyl is a good motor/tranny

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Damn dude haha thats a sick jeep!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had a '94 Wrangler Sahara...roommate has an '01 Wrangler X.

Pros:
* Fun in the summer with the top down
* Great in the winter with the 4WD
* All around fun to drive
* Parallel parking is a breeze (tight turning radius, short car, and rear window is the end of your car)
* Body is a tank (similar to Fijideez, I rear-ended someone without a brushguard pretty fast...and there was no damage to my vehicle..their bumper and trunk were destroyed)
* Jeep comraderie. Kind of a club. Back in the day when the tops were much harder to put and down, I'd usually help some dude put his up...people would offer me help sometimes too.
* Easy to customize (if you like that sort of thing)

Cons:
* Bad gas mileage
* Rough ride and decent ride-height make some females dislike it (it's tough to enter with a dress...not a "night-on-the-town" vehicle
* Annoying to have to put top up and down (especially when a quick T-storm rolls through) and annoying to use windows (mine were zipper)
* Soft top wasn't that great in the cold weather...let a lot of cold air in.
* Very easy to steal from (I had an amp and head unit stolen...consider everything outside the trunk fair game if you park in a bad neighborhood). Roommate has his change stolen weekly from his Jeep.

My '94 Sahara didn't have AC, so I grew to dislike it after a while. If it was hot out and started to rain, I was screwed...couldn't unzipper the windows because I'd get drenched and I'd roast inside.

Overall, it was fun, but it's a big hassle sometimes. I had a quick-cover for the summer, which I think is a necessity. It has straps and then hooks to the factory spots too in order to quickly cover your car (30 second job) in event of a rainstorm....you can't drive with it on though because it covers the windshield. FYI, the new tops are probably much more user-friendly...the '94 was a b**** to get on and off. My roommate's '01 is much easier and they might have made improvements since then.

I never had any problems mechanically with the '94 at all. We sold it at about 65k miles...first clutch...zero problems. Roommate is at about 75k on his '01 and I'm pretty sure he hasn't had a problem either (also a manual).

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i used to have a 2001 jeep wrangler sahara, i love it it. But i traded it for an 08 and it's way better.The 08 drives like a car way better in the snow even without the 4x4 traction control is awesome.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My dad has owned an older Jeep Wrangler we put about 120,000 miles on and it still worked out pretty well and we didnt have to do much other than basic maintenence. Then we sold it and picked up an '06 Wrangler and it's equally as fun.

I hate taking the top on and off though, it's annoying as hell

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.