8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2010 Civic EX as some of you already know. I found an older post some time ago about some people not being able to start their car. I was also one of these people with not being able to start on the first try. This does not happen every day, but some times once a week, some times once every 2 weeks. Some times twice a week. It varies and does not have any set pattern

On some starts the car will crank or make some clicking noise and you will have to restart. Some thought it might be the starter, some say it might be the battery, some say it's the cold weather, and some say the fuel has to reach the designated area before it starts.

Apparently this has happened to several people all the way from 2006-2010 models, so it isn't a specific year.

Well now it's summer time and the weather is hot and humid and this still happens. The car is new and the battery and the ignition are both fine. I am starting to think the problem could be human error.

This may sound way out there or even stupid to some degree, but maybe I just don't know how to start the civic. When I turn the key in one shot (hard to describe) I know it will start right. But when I just sit quick in the car and attempt to turn the key and don't position my wrist in the right way, I know it won't start right. I am beginning to think starting a civic is a delicate process and must be done the same way, smoothly every time. A little extra twist and the car will crank, a little less twist and the car will barely start and want to turn off.

Guys, sorry for the long post, but does anyone feel this way about the start? That this may not be a mechanical issue but yet it's all about how smoothly your turn the car on?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I have the same problem with my 08 EX. I talked to a Honda tech buddy of mine and he said its the battery but my car is only two years old (08). I go to start my civic and it hesitates for a few seconds now before it fires. I dont remember that happening before and dont know if its just always going to be an issue or if it is maybe a sensor or something. Has anyone "fixed" their hesitation?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Are you waiting until the fuel pump buzzing sound in the rear has stopped before cranking ??

I got into this habit on my 05 and it started perectly every time I would wait.

I did have an ugly starting experience on my '10 LX at about 500 miles but it only ever happened the one single time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I've taken to waiting for my fuel pump to finish doing its thing before I start the car. While it will start each and every time, there are times the car will make a squealing noise before it fires up or just make some weird noise that does not instill any confidence that the car will not stall at some point soon thereafter.

This is my first Honda and I've got to say that I am very disappointed especially in a car that is only 2 months old (first noticed the problem at 500 miles). I'm going to bring it up at my first service but will probably get "we cannot replicate your problem" response.

I also thought about the way I start the car (as the OP mentions), but I don't think that should be a factor (and if it is, then it is a poor design on Honda's part). I've owned and driven enough cars of many makes and brands to know that I am not the problem.

I am hoping that Honda will address this because just based upon the responses I've seen in this forum, the problem is certainly not isolated to just my car or just the 2010 MY. I don't believe anyone on the forum got a satisfactory resolution to the problem from Honda (otherwise, we would not continue discussing the problem). It seems more likely that the Tooth Fairy will come and magically make the problem disappear :facepalm:.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I also thought about the way I start the car (as the OP mentions), but I don't think that should be a factor (and if it is, then it is a poor design on Honda's part). I've owned and driven enough cars of many makes and brands to know that I am not the problem.
I agree, I believe it is a design flaw because every car I ever started never did this. I am at the conclusion now that I would have to master how I turn the ignition. I do not think I have to wait for the fuel pump. Tried that still doesn't work. I just think most people here got into the habit of turning the car on the same way every time.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
While it will start each and every time, there are times the car will make a squealing noise before it fires up or just make some weird noise...
I get that sound, too. Only happens after it rained overnight, though.

I know it's a new car and all, but maybe try a stronger battery.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I agree, I believe it is a design flaw because every car I ever started never did this. I am at the conclusion now that I would have to master how I turn the ignition. I do not think I have to wait for the fuel pump. Tried that still doesn't work. I just think most people here got into the habit of turning the car on the same way every time.
The waiting for the fuel pump to stop also helps with other makes as well as Honda.

If you have waited and the car does not instantly start and run on the very 1st attempt then you have an issue. Mine has only happened once to date.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know it's a new car and all, but maybe try a stronger battery.
You may be right about the battery. I'll look into it.

If the problem is really due to the weak battery, then putting a cheap battery in a car only serves to diminish my opinion of Honda over a few dollars that it could have spent on a better battery to avoid the whole situation with customers. Folks, first impressions are important and this is doing nothing for me. I bought an econo car, but you would think that expecting the car to fire-up without problems is something that is reserved for a different price point.

I'd rather they cheap out on something like a cover for the cubby hole in front of the shifter... wait... they did.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I sort of have the same issue. This is what happened/happens:

Leaving Starbucks I had turned on the car...went to plug in my phone and select some tracks when for some reason I had forgot I had turned on the car and turned the key again. I got a very loud buzzing noise...I instantly turned off the car and turned it back on to make sure I hadn't killed the ignition. Car turned on fine....but every once in awhile when I go to turn the ignition, I'll get the buzzing sound. You can hear the buzzing sound when the key's turned to II. Have I partially ruined my starter?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
************ UPDATE **************

Ok I have not had a bad start in a week and a half where normally I will have a bad start once a day to once every 2 days.

I had a mechanic sit in my car and he started it 10 times with no problems. We talked for 30 minutes then he started it another 5 times no problems. It was basically my fault. Here is what he explained to me. Our cars have a basic old school ignition and therefor a full turn is needed. Anything short of a full turn will show the symptoms posted in this thread. So now I got into the habit of sitting in the car, putting the key in, leaving it in, putting seat belt on, then turning the key (in one shot) all the way. No fail this way at all.

Now I asked about letting the fuel pump prime and even turning the key to 1 or 2 and then starting. He told me all that was not necessary at all. This is not a battery issue and not a starter issue. This is simply the way we turn the key. I would recommend for everyone to give it a good turn and see what happens. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It happens to me rarely (once in 3-5 months). I've noticed that it happens when I sit in the car, throw the key in and crank it right away. Take your time, turning the key faster will save you 2 seconds on your trip time.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
But 95/100 times the car will start. =) I think it also has to do with the weather, I've also noticed that on ice cold days throwing the key to start the car causes the 5/100 bad starts.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but only when I leave my GPS charger plugged in (and not connected to the GPS). I'm thinking it drains the battery.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
some one should make a DIY on how to start the car :facepalm:
Unfortunately it has come to that. If Honda put a better ignition system in the car we wouldn't be dealing with this. This is the first car in my life I have had to think about how I start the car.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Unfortunately it has come to that. If Honda put a better ignition system in the car we wouldn't be dealing with this. This is the first car in my life I have had to think about how I start the car.
It's not just Honda, some of my past Corollas would also on occasion fail to catch on the first attempt if you just get in and start cranking instantly as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts