8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I learned that the ECU is responsible for the Si's rev hang, I've become very interested in it. This thing is a car tuner's dream box. It controls everything. By tweaking it, you can optimize you engine's performance.

I know Hondata specializes in ECUs, and many of you probably had the 75 dollar reflash done. But, has anyone bought one of their products which allow you to tune the ECU by yourself? The Hondata reflash is a generic reflash which isn't optimized for your car's setup. In order to get the most out of your car, you need to have a programmer custom program your ECU. Or, you can try doing it yourself.

I'm an engineering student, and I'm going to major in electrical engineering. So, this kind of stuff fascinates me. I'm going to learn more about ECUs and programming ECUs, and give it a shot when I have more time on my hands (this summer).

If anyone has played around with ECUs, or has any input on how else I might fix my rev hang, let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.

you sound just like lessthenwise. Unfortunately the ECU is not accessable by 99.9% of us so we are all waiting for a tuning solution that will allow us to make changes to it. This ECU is definitely no tuners dream, its a friggin nightmare. The add BS like VSA and whatever its called that monitors tire pressure doesn't help one bit. My advice to you is don't mess with ECU in your car to learn how it works.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.

you sound just like lessthenwise. Unfortunately the ECU is not accessable by 99.9% of us so we are all waiting for a tuning solution that will allow us to make changes to it. This ECU is definitely no tuners dream, its a friggin nightmare. The add BS like VSA and whatever its called that monitors tire pressure doesn't help one bit. My advice to you is don't mess with ECU in your car to learn how it works.
Hondata, and I'm sure other companies, sell hardware and software which make the ECU accessable.

You shouldn't be waiting for a generic fix. You need to set up your ECU to work for your setup. There are thousands of setups for the Si. Hondata can't make a "one size fits all" fix. That's why they sell products which allow you to tune it yourself.

If you can't tune it yourself, you should maybe try looking around for a programmer that has experience with ECUs. Especially if you've invested a lot of money in your car. You're most likely not getting the most out of it without a custom tuned ECU.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I don't think the K-pro works either BTW.
I definitely appreciate your interest in wanting to crack the mystery of the Si's ECU, but stating a fact that all of 8th Civic is painfully aware of, is like going on a talk show, and telling the world your car runs on gas.

K Pro is a sore subject around here.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
lol.

Best NOOB to date.

He obviously doesnt know a damn thing about our ecu's if he thinks the reflash only costs $75.

Dude when you get your degree, please lets all know when you research and design a user flashable ECU. Ill be the first to buy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol.

Best NOOB to date.

He obviously doesnt know a damn thing about our ecu's if he thinks the reflash only costs $75.

Dude when you get your degree, please lets all know when you research and design a user flashable ECU. Ill be the first to buy.
Sheesh, acknowledge a mistake, and they still pour it on. You guys are brutal. :eek:hnoes:

I'm guessing hondata isn't in a hurry to build a product that allows us to flash our own ECUs. And why would they, if they're getting almost 600 bucks a pop reflashing them for you. Some friendly competition would make that price drop.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'll just wait it out till the end I guess cus there's no way I'm dropping 600 bucks on a reflesh.....I just couldn't bring myself to do it! I/E/H......No problem! Just something about the reflash that doesn't rub me the right way....Oh well, I'm sure it's a great product. :clapping:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.