8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I tested the Civic SI changing gears w/o the clutch. I've done it once on an old DA Integra GSR awhile back and I decided to try it on mine and see if the gearbox would let me. The old Gen GSR let me go into all gears under around the 3RPM range without using the clutch at all. Timing was needed for this.

Here's the story:

I always press the clutch in before going in gears but then decided to press the clutch to go into 2nd gear than pulled it out without the clutch and it went into Nuetral. I didn't want to try it out on first gear but did it with the rest of the gears. Have any of you tried this out of curiousity?

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
I would rather engage the clutch, it's there for a reason :thumb:. I wouldn't want to risk breaking something anyway ha.

·
Registered
618 Posts
its easy to shift out of a gear without using the clutch. i never tried it on my SI because its not worth screwing anything up. if you find the right rpm you can just pull it out of a gearr but trying to get it in a new gear is not worth the chance of grinding.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, I wouldn't recommend anyone putting it in gear without engaging the clutch but just going to nuetral. I found it easy that pulling it out of the gearbox was relatively easy and that there's no locking to them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just did this last week accidentally. Was pulling into a driveway in 3rd gear; had a brainfart and instead of holdin down the clutch and goin into 2nd, I just yanked it down to neutral without pressin down the clutch pedal... didn't hear any gear grind or feel any jerking by the car.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry if this was old news but I just found that out for a manual car. I have always pressed the clutch in for gear changing so I guess this was something new to me that I haven't realized hence been driving for 9 years on manual.

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
well when i was taking the classes to be a sales men....the training video said that the hondas are made to be shifted even if u cant use the clutch at certain rpms...ive experienced this first hand with my accord and my old fg2....but now i baby my mugen

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
well when i was taking the classes to be a sales men....the training video said that the hondas are made to be shifted even if u cant use the clutch at certain rpms...ive experienced this first hand with my accord and my old fg2....but now i baby my mugen
Wait wait wait. Can you say that again please? Was this a Honda publication?

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
ive driven around town before without using the clutch (except to start moving in 1st gear). it takes timing. i have done this with 0 grinding.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I do it all the time. When Im driving down my road I get to 70 and always let off the gas and just puch the shifter forward out of 6th. It practically falls into neautral. No harm done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts