8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess this isnt Si specific, but since we all have manual I thought id post it here. I know most people put the car in gear when they leave it parked but i never do and never have. Just wondering if anyone else out there leaves it in neutral as well.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i leave it in neutral unless im on an enourmous hill that makes me feel uneasy about just the ebrake... a friend of mine doesnt use the ebrake and just puts the car in gear... i feel bad everytime i feel the car hold itself in gear...

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess im not the only one.

I stahl pretty much everytime i pick my car up from having service done. They always leave it in gear and i never realize so i just start the car then let my foot off the clutch and just as i feel it start to stahl its too late.

·
Registered
173 Posts

I stahl pretty much everytime i pick my car up from having service done. They always leave it in gear and i never realize so i just start the car then let my foot off the clutch and just as i feel it start to stahl its too late.
That's why you need to start a habit of moving your shifter back and forth everytime you start it up. It's like second nature for me.

I will only put my car in gear if I can roll back or forward when I'm stopped. Other than that if I know I'm on flat pavement it's usually just the parking break.

·
Banned
3,352 Posts

I hate when they do that. Most the time they don't engage the ebrake as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Oh and stahl? lol Thinking tools? Stall you mean.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I only leave it in gear when I'm parked on a hill. otherwise, neutral and e-brake.
:yeahthat: I always forget if I leave it in gear and start the car and stall, kinda embarassing if someone is watching! lol

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I put it in either first or reverse depending on the angle of the hill and then pull the parking break. Just because I like the extra protection in case my ebrake were to malfunction. Plus its a habit for me to put it in gear so if I did ever randomly forget to pull the break one day, I would have a backup.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
There are zero hills around here. I could leave my car with no ebrake and no gear and it wouldn't go anywhere. I have my ebrake on lightly...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yeah I can understand where your coming from, but NC is just one big hill. :giggle:

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Normally do 1st gear and ebrake, the only exception is if they are calling for ice or something like that, in which case ill leave it in 1st and wont put the ebrake up..

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I live in FL where there are no hills and I park far away from anyone else at my job so it's easier just to pull the e-brake and leave it in neutral.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
1 - 20 of 154 Posts